Intro

crush1776

Injury Prone
Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up my first xs today but have been scouting around for awhile now:

xsstock.jpg

It's a registered runner and I'm happy with the deal I got.

I live in Hermosa Beach and have been into bikes my entire life. I currently own this Sportster, which I am proud to say I built myself: tank, seat, fender, motormounts, forward controls, etc.

100_2827.jpg

I rode an RZ350 top speed everyday during high school, but don't feel nearly as immortal now 20 years later.

My XS will get the street tracker treatment, and I will be glad to post the mods here as they come. I really appreciate boards like these that offer a wealth of information, and look forward to exploiting it to its fullest:D

Cheers!

-jon

oops. i feel like an idiot. haha but yeah. he still made them. lol but even just the measurments and stuff, im thinking about making my own, but i dont know sizes or anything like that. or how to go about creating them

I dig the headlight mount, handlebars, and grips on that sporty, but you said you built the tank? It looks stock to me? explain.

I dig the headlight mount, handlebars, and grips on that sporty, but you said you built the tank? It looks stock to me? explain.

I took a stock Sporty tank, cut the bottom out, cut the filler neck out, wedge sectioned it about 1.5"-.75" front to rear, channeled it about 1.5" down onto the frame, rolled the bottom edge, fabricated a new bottom and frame tunnel, welded it all together, and welded in a flush mount filler neck gas cap, sealed it, fillered it, and primed it. So yeah, I feel pretty comfortable saying I "made" that tank!:wink2:

On my work computer now so I can't post the photobucket link, but will update soon.

The idea was for the tank to appear stockish to the untrained eye, but to have people wondering why it looks so much better than a stocker. VERY noticable sitting next to a stocker!

oops. i feel like an idiot. haha but yeah. he still made them. lol but even just the measurments and stuff, im thinking about making my own, but i dont know sizes or anything like that. or how to go about creating them

Haha: the XS police strike quickly don't they?:D

I don't know if my process would work on an XS or not, I'll have to look at it this weekend. I can tell you that you can buy some decent ones for less than machining/ materials costs, so unless you own a lathe and work in the metals industry I (one out of 2 for me) it will be a serious undertaking. Not trying to discourage you by any means, but I'd be willing to bet your labors and money can be better spent on another part of your project.

Basically I took two stock sportster mid-control brake pedals, cut the flat pad parts off, cut the arm off of the one for the shifter side and rotated it 180 degrees and welded it back on the armature so that the lower rod boss would line up when swapped to the shifter side, Got 2 pcs of titanium round bar stock (I think it was 1.375" dia? 6242 Ti) had a machinist drill holes in both ends of each piece and thread them to accept the stock through bolts and large dia mounting bolts through the lower motor mounts, drill two more pcs of the Ti round bar to fit onto the jointed "nipple ends of the stock sporty pcs, and knurl them to become the footpegs, got some itty bitty knurled "shifter" pegs online somewhere and mounted them to the cutoff ends of the brake pedal arms...whew!:doh:

I can't tell you how pissed that machinist was when I brought him the 6242 Ti and told him what I wanted, apparently that stuff is a bitch to machine and ate up all his bits. Probably should have used CP (commercially pure) Ti instead: learning curve!

Cheers and stuff,
jc

thanks. im just trying to get some ideas. ive been looking here and there for different techniques. my dad's buddy has a lathe and who is a machinist by hobby. he builds streetfighter and drag bike H2 triples for fun so he kinda needs to know that stuff. i was gonna bring him some materials and plans and propose the idea. when that will be i will never know

Back