Is this clutch plate separation normal?

arl5370

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In the course of investigating a kick-starter issue on my 79 XS400F, I took the clutch cover off and noticed something that seemed odd to me.

Only the first two (outermost) friction plates appear to move when the pressure plate lifts as I pull the clutch in. Should they all be separating visibly?

I'd hope to upload a video but had to make do with the attached pic.

I soaked the friction plates in oil overnight and re-installed as they've been in the engine for years untouched. Same result.

There are some grooves evident in the basket but they don't seem too bad. I know that's subjective but would like to confirm whether what I am seeing is abnormal before I think about filing anything. I have added a photo where you can see the extent of the grooving on the driven face of the clutch basket fingers.

I fitted a new, correct part number clutch cable and adjusted both the screw down the bottom and also at the perch.

Thanks,

Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_0712_Moment.jpg
    IMG_0712_Moment.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 6A4B0EDE-C99A-4AA5-87D1-4ED1B67BCEB2.jpeg
    6A4B0EDE-C99A-4AA5-87D1-4ED1B67BCEB2.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Yes there will be wear marks in the basket. There will be only small movement between the plates and most will be at the end that moves. Check your plates, springs and pads for thickness and warp. If those are good you should be ok. All the specs are in the manual.

Back