Issue has me stumped

mortikan

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I have a 77 XS 400 standard. I have had the bike for three years now. I don't have a lot of miles but the first year I owned it, it was running rough would stall at lights on occasion but it ran and I put a few hundred miles on it. Last year I decided it needed some work so I pulled the carb and cleaned it bought the rebuild kit for the stock BS34 mikunis I am running stock needles, while the carbs were off I noticed the tank was leaking. I decided to get that fixed and repainted so second year it sat dry( didn't have the cash to get it done right away) I did a little cleaning and replaced fuse block with blade fuses nothing much though. This year I get the tank back and after a little fiddling(currently the pilot jets are 31/2turns out she starts on first kick almost every time.
The issue that I am having now comes into play. while sitting or under load when you give it gas she drops off power about 3500-4000K if I keep the throttle on it will die but, if I let go she settles back into idol(I currently have it at 1200rpm). when this first happened I used carb cleaner and found one of the boots was leaking. I have replaced the boots and gaskets all new clear fuel line, checked the diaphragm in the petcock(I did have the tank red coated when I painted it), replaced the vacuum line for the petcock rebuilt the stock air filters with new filter material went through the carb again. I think it's a carb issue and I'm going to keep trying but I was hopeful someone might have an answer.
I have put new shocks new rubber and a set of mufflers from mikes xs on it and wrapped the heads and new grips that's it just for information.

BASIC MAINTENANCE...? Anything on that?

check valve lash, check/replace points, set timing, sync carbs.

What carb rebuild did you use? If the jets aren't genuine Mikuni, they are junk. Set carbs to factory settings and work from there.

So it runs okay below 1/4 throttle and bogs when you go above that? If it's every time I'd suspect a blocked or undersized main jet(s). What do you run for a fuel filter? I'd get one with a clear housing so you can see if anything is coming out of the tank.

Back