I believe the points have R and L markings on the baseplate. Just trace the wires from there and hook them up to the right coil.

This just sprang to mind, there should be a condensor connected to the wire that connects points and coils. If that's left out or in bad condition it affects spark. I'm just not too sure how much it would affect it

Edit: Condensor (as NewHavenMike said), not capacitor

Last edited:
I think once the condenser goes, the points will start to deteriorate fast and crumble away.

Remove the carbs, squirt some gas in each cylinder. If it starts and runs, it's your carbs and intake tract. I usually dip the plugs in gas as well to make sure it kicks over.

I forgot to mention. When I first got my engine together. I had trouble with the timing as well. I had the lines on the crank prefect and only spun the crank in one direction. When that's all lined up. There's also a line on the end of the cam that needs to be matched up to the correct point for the cylinder that is firing. The line marks when the point should open and spark. At this point, forget about the marks on the crank shaft.

Sorry if this is mentioned in another post. I'm on my phone.

Back