Just another Bobber Build

waycoolsportster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, it's another Bobber in progress thread!!!!
I picked up this little 82 a while back for my girlfriend to learn to ride, and I just can't leave it stock, hell I can't leave anything stock...what fun is that????

So after scoping out some of the bikes on here I finally got a game plan on it and got to chopping it up...the bike is actually pretty far along at this point, I just haven't sat down long enough at the computer to start a thread on here or get pictures loaded into my photobucket...hell, it's been so long since I posted that I hope I remember how to post pics.

Anyhow...now that I got this thread started, I'll bring you guys up to speed on the project. I should have all the pics up in the next few days........stay tuned!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Let's see if I did this right...If I did, there should be a pic of the bike as it was delivered to my garage

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz21/Waycoolsportster/Pennys Bike/006.jpg
006.jpg

And, of course...the obligatory tear-down, you'll see in this pic that I used Honda Rebel shocks to lower the rear, and that's a 130 rear tire.

pennysbike.jpg

And of course...cut all that ugly shit off the back of the frame!!!!!!!!!!

0511112013.jpg

Last edited:
wouldn't count anything mate, always costs too much.

Good start, you got anything "special" in mind?

I dunno if theres anything that qualifies a "special"....but I got some cool things goin. Keepin it Low buck is my biggest hurdle keeping me from goin to wild. But anyhow, here's a few more pics:

Fishtails for the exhaust, thought that might be a little different

fishtails.jpg

Another of the exhaust, and a mock up of the rear fender:

xsmockup.jpg

Final trim and fit of the rear fender:

rearfender.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's going on a pivot mount. It's a spring seat, commonly found on hard-tailed choppers and bobbers. In this case instead of springs I am gonna fab up small rubber bumpers for the back (where the springs would normally be). I'll have pics when I get that part done (currently finishing the back of the frame and the fender mount on the swing-arm). I gotta get a new seat because in my opinion that one is way too small, once I get it and make the mount I will post pics.

Like the seat. Where you get that? Im looking for a solo but lowbrows out of the one I want. Did you pull the forks up through the trees too?

Looks good man

The seat came from tcbroschoppers (ebay), they were also where I bought the blank for the rear fender. Probably gonna slide the forks up, haven't done it yet though. Front just looks low in some pics since it is strapped down on the lift.

Hey guys, I want to clean up/do away with the big ugly guages and idiot lights to really clean up and simplify the area behind the bars....any thoughts or ideas?????????? Don't need the tach or lights, gotta have a speedometer though.

Hey guys, I want to clean up/do away with the big ugly guages and idiot lights to really clean up and simplify the area behind the bars....any thoughts or ideas?????????? Don't need the tach or lights, gotta have a speedometer though.

Hey bro. Nice work so far! We are on a very similar page. I got a 130 for the rear, I'm looking for Rebel shocks and fishtail pipes for mine. I'll be following yours to see how it ends up.

As for the speedo, I got a mini, white face speedo from MikesXS.net. Cleans up the bars quite nicely.

Hey bro. Nice work so far! We are on a very similar page. I got a 130 for the rear, I'm looking for Rebel shocks and fishtail pipes for mine. I'll be following yours to see how it ends up.

As for the speedo, I got a mini, white face speedo from MikesXS.net. Cleans up the bars quite nicely.

Any info on that (maybe even pics?) would be greatly appreciated....would like to know how you mounted it, deleted the idiot lights, tach, etc. Feel free to PM me or email me. My email is this same name at AOL

I have a bicycle computer mounted. Bought it for around 20$ and it can give accurate speed up to 300km/h :bike: it's sometimes can be a little slow during acceleration. But it doesn't bother me. When I removed the tach and speedo I just unplugged the wires in the headlight and then removed the self-cancelling unit. Then everything worked as usual. :)

but this is me building on a budget. A nice speedometer would look better. But hey, what do you do. :)

here is a pic
imag0266_144923731.jpg

Any info on that (maybe even pics?) would be greatly appreciated....would like to know how you mounted it, deleted the idiot lights, tach, etc. Feel free to PM me or email me. My email is this same name at AOL

Here is a link to the website: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-46.html#products
I got the mini, white face with indicator lights, so I have the neutral light, high beam and oil light in the speedo face. As far as mounting it goes, I'm still playing with different ideas. I'm trying to keep it low visibility. I currently have it mounted to my left, front riser bolt, so it sits just about on top of my left rear riser bolt. But I'd like to have it centered on the bars - low, between the bars and the tank, but if I keep the stock tank, it might not work. I removed turn signals from my harness, so I won't have them on the bike. I won't be using a tach, but I have not yet figured out what I'm going to do about sealing the opening to the block.

I have been lacking on posting on my build. I don't currently have a pic of the bars with the speedo yet, but I'll try to get one up this week.

Thanx frwinks! I will have more pics of the fender up as soon as I get the tins painted and the mount to the swing arm final-welded. I'm really diggin that digital speedometer too......I was wanting to stay analog for the old school look, but that thing is pretty cool!!!

I did manage to get the back of the frame done and the shock mounts welded and boxed....not fully finished yet, but still making progress! (sorry for the shitty cell-phone pics)

framecutandwelded.jpg

Also got the rear fender mount final-welded to the swingarm

swingarm.jpg

Last edited:
Back