Just another Bobber Build

Travis..yep, those are stock wheels. Also you asked about the shocks, they will work with the stock fender set up. I had this set if shocks in my shop when I bought the bike and they were one of the first thungs I put on it. Thanks Drewpy!! I'm pretty happy with the bike so far!! Still have more to do but cashflow is holding me up right now

thanx wcs this is simular to what i eventualy want to build but right now i can really only afford my shocks tires and forward controls so just chipping away at it little by little right now i have an all sotck xs 400 special to and want to shy away from as much welding on the frame as possible since i don t trust my welding expierince that far yet i would like to use a seat like that but also make the back to hold a suction cup seat so the ol can ride on back when she wants to

So how much was the overall cost of the build im going for a simular style but im thinking slash cut drag pipes and medium apes

Hmmmmm i never added it up.... lets see: Used front tire $10, Larosa seat $130, Fishtails $80, Header Wrap $30, Rear fender and metal to make mounts $60.
Puts me at $310 so far. I think I'm gonna add a set if 12 or 15 inch apes so that dollar amount will change.

I got myself a 81 400 special this past July. I'm 40 and just got my 1st bike. It's a good size for me and great on gas. After milling over some ideas the past few months your build seems a good route to go. My father inlaw owns an auto body shop and he said he'd help me with a build over this winter. I was wondering, was the only welding you had on the fender mounts and shock mounts? And why did you have to make new shock mounts? Any input would be helpful. Your bike looks great! And by the looks of the thread I'm not the only one taking insperation from this 400.

Posted via Mobile

I got myself a 81 400 special this past July. I'm 40 and just got my 1st bike. It's a good size for me and great on gas. After milling over some ideas the past few months your build seems a good route to go. My father inlaw owns an auto body shop and he said he'd help me with a build over this winter. I was wondering, was the only welding you had on the fender mounts and shock mounts? And why did you have to make new shock mounts? Any input would be helpful. Your bike looks great! And by the looks of the thread I'm not the only one taking insperation from this 400.

Posted via Mobile

Once you cut off the ugliness from the back half of the frame, you can box in the shock mounts (that's how we did this build) the fender we did mounts on the swing-arm so it moves with the tire and swing-arm as a unit, had to fabricate the mount for it as well. That is the only welding on this build. Hope this info is helpful, if not just let me know and I will give ya all the advice I can!!

I like the bike and the looks of the seat,but like I said before,I want a little more rise for back support and the spring idea is excellent work.I'm waiting for my wife to wear out the latest victim[truck],an Oldsmobile Bravada.It has leather seats,and when I junk it,it'll be minus enough beautiful leather to make a bunch of bike seats.That's recycling,which is what this and other similar sites are really all about,without all the stupid talk of saving the world!These bikes are all about art and expression!!!You've done a great job of doing just that!!! lha

well winter is around the corner and thats when im gonna start building mine just a bit curiouse tho im about 5ft 9in and right now my bike is all stock i have a problem were i get a cramp in my hip from the position of the pegs ive checked into tc bros frwrd controls has anyone used these and know if they would help on a build like wcs bike

Once again I have blown the budget....decided to go with 15" apes. Once it's all finished up I will include the cost of everything since that topic came up earlier (plus it will help me later on to tally up what I got in this thing)

pennysnewapes.jpg

i stopped adding stuff up years ago, it gets you into too much trouble with her indoors!

I just enjoy the build and the finished product, better than giving it to the banks to squander!

BTW... for a "buyer beware". there is a seller on ebay who claims to have 10" over cable sets. They're NOT 10" longer, barely 3" actually. No return emails from the seller. I'm having a set made right now

Buying some parts on there is always sketchy... I've had problems with more generic parts not being as described myself. As if they have ever even seen these motorcycles to measure. Many of them just slap your make and model on to every auction to get hits :wtf:

You can buy cable,outer sheath and all parts to make up professional looking throttle,clutch,and brake cables in whatever length you need.There's a company in Memphis,Tn that sells on ebay.Just look on ebay and search for cables. Get some cable ties. lha

Back