Just another Bobber Build

Well guys...since winter is coming here in Indiana, and I just can't leave well enough alone, the bike is back apart again. Since I incorporated three-dimentional graphics on my Harley build, I decided to do a little 3-D work on this bike as well. Here's a little sneak peek. More pics coming soon

deviltailprimed.jpg

that's really cool, whats the basics behind that? is it bondo build up? looks great :)

In a nutshell....yeah, kind of. The difficult (and time-consuming) part is making it look like a part of the metal itself as opposed to merely being laid on top of it. Most of my work is oftem mistaken for airbrushing until it is looked at more closely. Really gets em scratchin' their heads at bike shows :umm::umm::umm:

Just reviewing this thread, sounds like you built this bike for you not your girlfriend. Is it something for a beginner to learn on? Or did you let her learn before the rebuild? Sharp bike though, I may borrow a few things for my next build.
Found a TX650 on a friends junk pile. Missing a front wheel maybe some other things.
Leo

Just reviewing this thread, sounds like you built this bike for you not your girlfriend. Is it something for a beginner to learn on? Or did you let her learn before the rebuild? Sharp bike though, I may borrow a few things for my next build.
Found a TX650 on a friends junk pile. Missing a front wheel maybe some other things.
Leo

Nah...I have my bike. Sometimes though when I start to build things get a little out of control LOL!!!! She will be fine learning on it, won't be hard to ride at all. And to Pork Chop: yeah it can be time consuming, but this design is pretty simple so the tank and fenders didn't take too long...unlike the 80 hours plus that I have in my Harley

Yes, you may have your bike but that still don't mean you built the bike for her. You built it the way you wanted it built. Did she want it built that way?
Leo

I don't quite know how to take your inquiry......hence the lack of response. I build bikes and she supports ALL my builds, she's happy that this one is for her. Is that what you're looking for??

I think what he means is, if you build the bike to match her taste, or if you follow your ideas and she'll have to be cool with it.
that devils tail is not my taste, but good work though.
damn, gotta get some sleep now... :shrug:

All the work that I've seen on this bike has been excellent! I will definitely borrow,or steal,some of your ideas.Such as the bike's seat.I bought a seat from a 1100 Yamaha that is similar to yours,and will cover it with brown leather,and stitch it similarly.That is a great look,and mine has a little more of a "cantle" ,the rise at the rear of the seat.My wife,when she saw it thought it was for my '41 ford tractor,my other "toy". lha

You say you built it for her but not once in the thread do you mention any input from her.
It is a nice bike. I like a lot of what you have done. But how much input did she give?
Leo

Leo...as with our other projects, she has been involved in every aspect. The apes, for example were in fact her idea as she thought she felt like she was laying down on the bike with the stock bars. The other side of that coin for example..I wanted to go to an 18" rear wheel, but in measuring we saw the bike would be a little higher in the rear than it is now, she vetoed that idea since she likes the stance of the bike as it is. I usually present some options and let her choose from there. Hope that answers your question.

Very cool. I have read many threads about someone building a bike for a girl friend and would not let them have any input on the build.
This type of thing bothers me a bit. Apparently you have used her input and the bike is one she will enjoy.
Well done.
Leo

:thumbsup::thumbsup: It's all good!! Now that he has the peace of mind with my domestic situation, perhaps we can get back to the motorcycle :bike::bike: I coulda posted pics of both her and the kids workin on it....guess maybe I should have LOL

How did you clean your engine for paint prep anyway? Removing the dust between the fins is not easy. I have tried all sorts of things before basically giving up!

the engine was painted when I got it...I just sanded and polished the fins (started with a grinder and worked up in grit from there) as for removing the dust from between the fins...150 PSI through a blow gun works great

This dust crap on mine needs to be scrubbed off with something very abrasive. I almost want to have it blasted.

Did you need 25' or 50' of header wrap? It seems to most commonly come in those lengths.

I used the narrow stuff (1" wide) I just went out to my shop to se if I still had the package and I don't, sorry. I'm guessing it was probably 50 feet since I still have a shitload left

Back