Just bought a 77 XS360 - First project bike!

wgnzlz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just posting to introduce myself and show you all a picture of my new bike. I just bought a 1977 XS360. It looks to be all original and from what I can tell is in pretty good shape. The previous owner just put a new battery in it and it fires right up with the electric start or with just one kick. The bike has 18k on the odometer and has a 1L9 VIN on frame and engine. If you guys can tell me anything about it with that VIN code, I'd appreciate it.

My current plans are to tear it down this winter and clean everything up. I will rebuild the carb and replace any rotted seals/bushings. My first thought was to turn it into a cafe racer but with how original it is, I might just change the bars and call it a day.

Here's the picture I took when I first saw it. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Wow! Clean looking bike! I've got a '77 360 also. Mine is in pieces. I guess mine also has a drum brake in front instead of the disc like yours. Mine must be a base model and yours one of the upper models. I think they released several levels of "trim" on these bikes. Disc brakes and more chrome etc. Great find. Let me know how it rides as you will likely be riding way before me:)

Posted via Mobile

Thanks guys! I'm not sure about the different "trim" levels as I haven't been able to find too much information. The bike rides ok right now, I've taken it for a quick spin around my neighborhood. Also, the guy I bought it from rode it to my house. The clutch needs adjusted as the lever pull is really hard and feels very "numb". You really can't feel the friction zone. I'm moving into a new house, with more garage space, at the end of the month so I'll wait until then to start working on it. I don't want to loose parts during the move.

Looks like a great original bike! I'd love to find one like it locally. Not to rain on your project ideas but it'd be a shame to do any permanent modifications/damage.

The bike has 18k on the odometer and has a 1L9 VIN on frame and engine. If you guys can tell me anything about it with that VIN code, I'd appreciate it.
The 1L9 VIN prefix indicates it's an XS360C.
The C model was the standard model, spoke wheels, disk front brake, drum rear.
The 2D model was the economy version. Spoke wheels, drum brakes front & back, and no e-start.

There was also the XS360D model. Some sites say the C was the '76 version and the D was the '77 model. I can't find a reference for the VIN prefix of the D mode if it was different. Maybe someone else will know.

Thanks BBS360. I think I'm with you on not making any permanent modifications. After getting it all cleaned up and running well I will probably just put a good set of tires on it and either Euro or Clubman bars.

I still haven't started restoring my new bike but did take a little time cleaning it today. All I did was spray some foam cleaner all over it then gently hosed it down. I think took a little time cleaning the wheels and bars. It surprised me how easily the wheels cleaned up and they really shine! Here are a few more pictures of it just because. Not a bad way to spend $500.

I'm also amazed at the power this little thing has especially since I have no idea when the carbs were cleaned, valves checked or plugs changed. This thing is going to be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 255
I don't believe you will need to change all that much. I have noticed that just the right kind of tires and a set of bars alone can set a bike off pretty well.

I don't believe you will need to change all that much. I have noticed that just the right kind of tires and a set of bars alone can set a bike off pretty well.

I'm hoping you're right. I currently plan on putting on a set of drag bars and am leaning towards a set of IRC GS-11 tires.

The weather was nice today so I decided to push the bike out and try cleaning up the engine. While doing so, I found my first surprise. The left front engine mount, on the crankcase, is completely gone. The right side is still there but is very thin. I'm not sure how much material is supposed to be there. Has anyone seen this issue? If so, can someone capable of welding aluminum weld and thread some material there? Here are some pictures to show the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 293
I'd be pretty livid if someone sold that to me and didn't disclose that problem.

Sorry to say, you may want to start looking for a replacement crankcase. You might have been able to have someone tig the missing pieces back on, but that would require having the pieces. You can't really weld any thing on to the cast aluminum as a replacement. If you can find a REAL good welder, that can figure out the cast alloy and use the proper filler, they could rebuild the area back up and then machine the mounting holes back in. But it looks like your case is cracked near the mount as well. And the cost to fix that thing would be more than just replacing the crankcase or grabbing a new motor.

Damn. Such a sweet looking bike to have such bad damage. Makes one wonder what happened.
Impact on the engine itself maybe.

Runs well for now but could be a ticking time bomb.

On the upside there are at least three crankcases on ebay that'd work.

I don't think the previous owner knew about the issue. However, it still sucks. I see the spot that looks like a crack in the photo and check that area this morning. It isn't cracked and the engine isn't leaking at all.

I looked around ebay this morning and this crankcase seems like it would work, any opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Yamaha...-00-/171671053194?hash=item27f864638a&vxp=mtr

This one is actually cheaper and looks to be all I need. If it's even possible, I doubt I could have anything done to my block for this price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Yamaha...ase-/291088363602?hash=item43c637f052&vxp=mtr

just make sure you reuse your crank bearings and not the ones that are usually stuck with the purchased crankcase. They 'could' match, but don't risk it.

Thanks for your advice guys. I purchased the crankcase in the second ebay link I posted. It doesn't make sense to try and fix the current case if I can get one in good condition for $35. However, I now have to source all of the gaskets and not sure how difficult it will be to remove and reinstall the bearings.

Make sure you install the bearings in the EXACT same location and orientation they came from your motor.

I finally moved into my new house and was able to get started this past weekend. I spent some time on it Sunday and was able to pull the engine. So far I'm having a lot of fun. I just ordered the gasket set and oil seal kit from ebay. Still need to figure out what to buy to rebuild the carbs.

One question for you guys. Would you focus on engine/carb rebuild before tearing the bike down to the frame? Or would you tear it down completely first?

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Back