Just brought her home

flukemobile

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 1978 XS400E and safely brought it back home in the back of my pickup. Just unloaded carefully and put in garage. Needs some work last run a few mos ago and prev owner said it was running rough and needed carbs cleaned. There is some specs of rust in the tank but not too bad. My plans are to start by cleaning the carbs and tank, replacing the plugs and air filter. The turn signals stay lit and don't flash so I guess I will order a flasher. Oh yeah, no mufflers so I need to order a set.

Welcome!

Sound like you have a good start planned. We usually recommend excessive cleaning of the carbs. An ultrasonic cleaner is helpful if you have access to one. And probing all the passages with a fine wire is also a good idea. Just be sure to not get any cleaners on the rubber parts (like the diaphragms) as they will be adversely effected.

If LED turn signals are in your future, you might as well get a flasher that will support them.

Most aftermarket mufflers will flow better than stock, and they will require re-jetting of the carbs to compensate.

Have fun!

Dave

Thanks for the comments. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMAG1688.jpg
    IMAG1688.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG1687.jpg
    IMAG1687.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG1686.jpg
    IMAG1686.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 178
I think it has the original tires on it. Maybe the 3435 mi. on the odometer is actual. I was concerned at the fact that it has permatex in a couple places. The guy I bought it from said it hadn't leaked but it did a little in my truck after a couple hours of transport. Then a puddle in my garage overnite. My neighbor assured me it is common and not a big concern he came running over as I backed in as he recently owned as XS650 and was sorry he sold it.

Welcome!

Sound like you have a good start planned. We usually recommend excessive cleaning of the carbs. An ultrasonic cleaner is helpful if you have access to one. And probing all the passages with a fine wire is also a good idea. Just be sure to not get any cleaners on the rubber parts (like the diaphragms) as they will be adversely effected.

If LED turn signals are in your future, you might as well get a flasher that will support them.

Most aftermarket mufflers will flow better than stock, and they will require re-jetting of the carbs to compensate.

Have fun!

Dave
Dave, gonna invade the thread.. where’d you buy that windshield??

Back