1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Karl's scrambler-bratstyle 81 XS400 SE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Firestone, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Good looking exhaust

2. Firestone

Firestone XS400 Enthusiast

Thanks Jeff0133!
    Made the insides a bit tighter adding some exhaust wrap and wool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And made a soundcheck video as well.

It is quieter, but definitely not quiet. The biggest difference is that it idles faster and has better acceleration if compared riding without mufflers.

3. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Did you make the baffles out of stainless also?

4. butterbeats

butterbeats XS400 Addict

Nice work!!! Sweet looking bike....

5. levdir

levdir Rounded bolt brigade

That sounds great, good work.

6. Firestone

Thanks everyone! Middle part of the baffles is made out of same pipe I used to make the rear hoop and the ends I bought from a sanitation(?) shop. I think they are just zinc coated, not made out of stainless.
    Bought new levers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Firestone

Bought new stainless bolts for the engine covers and new carb boots as well.
    [​IMG]
    Old boot.
    [​IMG]
    New one.
    [​IMG]

8. Firestone

Throttle cable broke, so fixed it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16VGTIDave likes this.
  9. dgoodsy

dgoodsy XS400 Enthusiast

I saw on page 3 that the carb boots were looking a little worse for wear, glad you replaced them. You will be too. good looking exhaust as well. I'm curious how it will affect your jetting. What is the plan for intake?

10. Firestone

I haven't changed the jets yet. It seems to be working alright.
    Front brake working now.
    [​IMG]

11. Firestone

Synced carbs with a homemade manometer.
    [​IMG]

After sync it's noticeably idling at lower rpm-s.

12. Firestone

Changed spark plugs and when I checked the valves, somehow I managed to broke one of the valve adjustment access plugs.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe someone over here has one extra?

13. Firestone

Tried out gunson colortune, didn't get it to work as well as I hoped. And found a replacement plug for the valve cover, still need to find a new one though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dgoodsy

dgoodsy XS400 Enthusiast

What about the colortune weren't you happy with?

15. Firestone

I didn't get it to show the proper colors on both sides. It was hard to see the combustion color, maybe should have tried it in a darker place. Maybe I need bigger jets, I am not sure.
    Cleaned the carbs, you know, the usual.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Almost lost one of those little guys. Luckily found it after searching for it at least 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]

16. dgoodsy

dgoodsy XS400 Enthusiast

Yes, I have not used colortune, its a cool idea but it seems to have some pretty obvious flaws. I think it is great for tuning idle fueling, but really tuning fueling for any other throttle position is out of the question or unsafe. Unless you have a dyno. But then, if you have a dyno you likely have O2 sensors, making the colortune redundant. Just my thoughts, having not used the system.

17. Firestone

Pretty much my thoughts after trying it as well, dgoodsy.

18. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I would like to make a few statements on the carbs and you cleaning methods. I would replace all the rubber plugs and o-rings and butterfly seals if you have never done it. Under the idle mix screws there should be a washer and o-ring. Make sure to remove the emulsion tubes and fully clean them ( it is what the main jet screws into). Also remove the pilot jets for cleaning. The float valves have an o-ring around it that seats it into the body. The butterfly seals at the ends of the butterfly shafts should be replaced if they have been dipped in solvent or are original. There are threads on all of these things in the forum. Not doing so will cause tuning problems or worse down the road.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    IanW, Jeff0133 and 16VGTIDave like this.
  19. Firestone

The pictures don't show the whole cleaning process. I actually removed the pilot jets and etc. I am going to change the rubber plugs cause they are pretty worn out and it's a good idea to buy new butterfly seals as well. Thanks for the advice xschris!
    Made simple exhaust bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Firestone

Bought a fuel filter.
    [​IMG]
    And my brother went on a drive as well.