1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Karl's scrambler-bratstyle 81 XS400 SE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Firestone, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut XS400 Member

Canada
    nice bike! and Borbets...

2. Firestone

Firestone XS400 Enthusiast

Thanks Blu and Sauerkraut, the Borbets are my brothers! The texture is only a little bit rough BBS360. I wouldn't blast the covers if you want to polish them though.
    Started putting the bike together, added new bronze bushings as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. Face

Face XS400 Member

Awesome thread! thanks for sharing the process!

4. Firestone

Yeah np Face! Some nicer quality pics coming soon, bike pretty much assembled. NB! Still looking for a valve cover cap!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff0133 likes this.
  5. SoraXS400

SoraXS400 1982 XS400

This looks amazing! I recently got my XS400 and I am just trying to get everything tuned, got the carbs cleaned, and I was wondering how your homemade monometer works? I have my bike with the vaccuum hose fuel petcock and my diy monometer uses the vaccuum, my diy was going to hack up a fuel tank with a manual petcock and doing that :laugh:

6. dgoodsy

dgoodsy XS400 Enthusiast

SoraXS400 that isn't necessary. Your vacuum petcock has a "prime" position wich allows fuel to run without a vacuum signal.

7. SoraXS400

SoraXS400 1982 XS400

Okay, that's what I thought. The prime position didn't work before I repaired the petcock, so I didn't know if it would work the same way with the fuel petcock repaired. Thanks!

8. Firestone

Yep, just put it on prime. If you have any other questions, then maybe this video helps (made mine accordingly):
    But speaking of petcocks, I just installed a new manual one, cause the old one was leaking in every position.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  9. SoraXS400

SoraXS400 1982 XS400

When I tried to buy a manual petcock and install it, all I could find was the same thing on Ebay, so I bought one and both of the places on the petcock were blocked on my bike. The fuel output was blocked by my choke, and the vacuum on the other one I tried was blocked by where the fuel line normally would have ran.

10. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I have what firestone has on his bike with no issues. Even easier to use with xs360 carbs. I noticed you have a dohc bike. That could be the issue. I am not sure what other dohc guys have used maybe someone will chime in.

11. Firestone

The fuel hose is a bit in the way, but that's because of my fuel filter. Everything still works nicely though.
    Took my xs400 to a motoshow in Estonia, called MotoExotica.
    [​IMG]
    First day my bike was in a separate booth with another motorcycle (not shown in the pictures).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But in the evening the main organiser came and said that my bike looked cool and if I wanted to I could compete with other projects. I said hell yeah, and had to take the bike to a red carpet, where I was given a spot and a number so the visitors could vote for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Event lasted three days in total and I managed to get 4th place out of ten bikes. With just two days votes! Won a toolbox, two tickets to the next show and a free stay for two in a hotel. Great!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    IanW, BBS360, Jeff0133 and 3 others like this.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye XS400 Enthusiast

awesome. nice when others appreciate the fruits of your labor.

13. IanW

IanW IanW

Canada
    Congratulations, and thanks for this great series of posts.

14. Firestone

Thanks guys! Haven't been online much lately. Fixed the old valve cover cap, ohterwise been enjoying riding as much as possible. Weather is finally warm here in Estonia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff0133 and IanW like this.