Kickstand to short?

WelderDave

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So just like the title says, my bike seems to lean pretty far with the side kickstand down. Not sure if it’s supposed to lean as far as it does, pretty sure it’s stock as the whole bike was when I got it with 11k miles.

Leans as what seams to me to be about 45 degrees but it’s solid, like it isn’t gonna fall over as long as the kickstand doesn’t sink into any blacktop. Is this normal? Debating getting a longer kickstand or just using the center stand all the time.

So just like the title says, my bike seems to lean pretty far with the side kickstand down. Not sure if it’s supposed to lean as far as it does, pretty sure it’s stock as the whole bike was when I got it with 11k miles.

Leans as what seams to me to be about 45 degrees but it’s solid, like it isn’t gonna fall over as long as the kickstand doesn’t sink into any blacktop. Is this normal? Debating getting a longer kickstand or just using the center stand all the time.

Yes they look like they are going to fall over.................I have one that only has the kickstand and well use a 2x4 chunk under it........the latest build I kept the center stand as it is great.

Yeah I’m going to keep the center stand, good to know it’s normal at least. It just seemed a little extreme to me. I originally was letting it down and was slowly doing so because I swear I thought it would fall, haha

My kickstand doesn’t go all the way up either. I have the emgo mufflers, so I had to weld a nut to the frame next to it so there was a tiny amount of clearance between it and the muffler, otherwise it would hit. Idk how the cones were mounted without it hitting...

Yeah I’m going to keep the center stand, good to know it’s normal at least. It just seemed a little extreme to me. I originally was letting it down and was slowly doing so because I swear I thought it would fall, haha

My kickstand doesn’t go all the way up either. I have the emgo mufflers, so I had to weld a nut to the frame next to it so there was a tiny amount of clearance between it and the muffler, otherwise it would hit. Idk how the cones were mounted without it hitting...

Yes it does hit the muffler. It should have a chunk of rubber on it so it doesnt do any damage to it. Mine hits also on one bike. Other bike has a MAC on it so no muffler on that side.

And yes I was the same way at first.........popped the stand down and the bike was leaning so hard........not sure what they were thinking when they made the thing.........

Yeah that just blows my mind. Oh well, I have a bolt welded to my frame so I don’t have to worry about anything hitting.
I almost just welded it to the kickstand instead but was thinking every time I kick it up it’s gonna smack the frame and eventually create a weak spot on the frame with that bolt hitting every time, so I opted to weld it to the frame so if there is damage it’s just on the solid steel kickstand and not risk safety.

Would probably just mess up the paint and thats it. But yes I wouldnt want to look at a bolt on the stand. Not really sure I want to see a bolt on the frame either.

Look for the rubber piece that goes on the stand itself.

Yes they look like they are going to fall over.................I have one that only has the kickstand and well use a 2x4 chunk under it........the latest build I kept the center stand as it is great.
one of mine has center stand that I swear is bent forward, it is a real bitch to get off the center stand. on my side stands I also use a piece of 2x4, probably should have piece of inch thick to make it level. I bought a new( used and nos spring) kickstand and spring and the tension is so great if you relieve the tension on the stand it comes up automatically...not so much fun when you are kickstarting!:eek:

one of mine has center stand that I swear is bent forward, it is a real bitch to get off the center stand. on my side stands I also use a piece of 2x4, probably should have piece of inch thick to make it level. I bought a new( used and nos spring) kickstand and spring and the tension is so great if you relieve the tension on the stand it comes up automatically...not so much fun when you are kickstarting!:eek:

My first one is great the last build yeah the spring is pretty limp............

What is it with you and kickstarting..............

yeah I don’t care about the paint on the kickstand, lol. Kickstand is replaceable, don’t feel like having to do frame repair.

I also like the kickstarting, but I’m only 29, lol. It’s easy enough anyway. I took my starter out so I can use a smaller battery, not to mention it’s less stuff to wire up since I rewired from scratch with just a wiring diagram.

All my bikes on the side stand set very upright. Only my 81 leans a bit over but I think that is because a some point it was dropped. When I bought it there was road rash damage. As for the center stand and side stand hitting the muffler, there are rubber bumpers for both the side stand and on the muffler so nothing is metal to metal. Side stand and center stands do get bent and damaged over time so issues will be had. These are stock bikes.

There are differences between 77-79 center stands and 80-82 sohc stands. The pitches are not the same so how they go up and sit can be off. I have seen side stands also like this. Keep in mind the 77-79 bikes had 18" rear wheels and the 80-82 where 16"

Attachments

• DSC03343.JPG
    DSC03343.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC03344.JPG
    DSC03344.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
yeah I don’t care about the paint on the kickstand, lol. Kickstand is replaceable, don’t feel like having to do frame repair.

I also like the kickstarting, but I’m only 29, lol. It’s easy enough anyway. I took my starter out so I can use a smaller battery, not to mention it’s less stuff to wire up since I rewired from scratch with just a wiring diagram.

Well with your name it should not be an issue ;) been fabricating for 30 years and hell these frames are cake...........

Lol, it wouldn’t so much as be a problem as just be annoying when I know I could have prevented it in the first place.

As for the rubber bump stop, I think that’s a stupid design, but I already have that nut welded on and it works nicely, so I’m happier with that.

My bike stands almost straight up and down.. Im always nervous when I park it, especially if the ground isnt level or I cant orient the bike to lean the right way. I was thinking of heating up the stand and trying to bend it out a bit, but like many other things, I havent gotten around to it.

Having a proper center stand is important as it is also for getting an accurate reading of the engine oil. Which should be done with a cold motor on flat ground.

Idle mix screw, when I first got it, one had a point and one didn’t, never thought to check it. However after closer inspection some jerk off indeed overtightened the mixture screw on the main carb, and broke off the tip. I heard people pushing them through but I ant find anything to work, can I just drill it out with a 1/16” drill bit?

Too late, drilled it out, there was no other way, I tried absolutely everything. Now I’m wondering if I should drill the other out so they will be the same?

Don't drill the other one. It's still a good carb if the hole is clear. The other is now done.

I have the same problem but mine is because I have an 80 frame and everything else is 77. I had a welder friend weld a large steel puck onto it. Raised it up about 1 inch which made a big difference plus it never sinks down a long as you use reasonable caution. It did require a trip to Ace for a stronger spring. Even though we milled out the underside it's still pretty heavy. I hope to post a photo but it's on my tablet and I'm no computer genius! I'm so bright I changed my password an didn't write it down! Now I can only get in on my desktop. But I'll work on the picture.

Ok, so I'm definitely keeping the center stand because it's extremely convenient, But I want a longer side stand. Anyone know what length would be good and bolts to the stock mount?

Back