Lace a 21" rim to the front hub?

TheMainMuel

Cycle Junkie
Reaction score
Hey duders. I am about to start on an xs400 project. I've got an 81 xs400 Special II, so I have the spoke rims (not mags) but they are 18" front and 16" rear. I'd really like to have 21" front and 18" rear. I'm sure I can come across an 18" rear from another xs400, but I was wondering if anyone might know of a 21" rim that can be laced to the front hub. I believe it's a 36 spoke hub.

It looks to me like the one in the photo below has the setup I want.

xs40021.jpg

I have a 21" Akront front wheel laced to the stock hub. I'm not exactly sure what the rim came off of, since I picked it up at a swap meet, but it worked. lol I matched the rear with an 18" wheel from an XS650 (I think...). I believe the wheel came from the "Heritage Special" or so I was told. It has the same "shouldered" design as the Akront. It can be done, but may take some searching for the right rims. I would check Ebay and local swap meets, and just be ready to break out your tape measure. Good luck!

new rims come undrilled so the right spoke agle can be drilled to suit the hub.
In the UK we have central wheel componants who stock loads of different rims.

Hardtailed, Drewpy;
It's good to know I have some workable options. We have a big swap meet here in February, if I can't find something there or online I'll look into having one drilled.
Thanks guys!

ya its off a 1978 xs400 its 18 x 1.85.if you dont want to trade im going to get a 16 inch rim relaced to it and ill give you the rim and spokes,just pay for shipping

Attachments

• Hpim1603.jpg
    Hpim1603.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 633
I recently have done a hub swap from a 18in to a 21in wire wheel on a 1980 xs400. Its trial by error.

I unlaced both wheels and used the longer spokes to lace up the original hub with the new 21inch ring. Make sure whatever you do with one spoke you do the same for all of them. ITS PARAMOUNT. Thread the nipples onto the spokes all the same way. Be consistent. Place the wheel on the floor flat with the drum side down. Center the hub with the ring using a measuring tape. Then check that all the nipples are sticking out past the ring equally. If not, turn the hub clock or counter clock wise always making sure the hub is centered until all nipples are equal all the way around.

Evaluate how much the spoke has to be cut in order for the nipples to sit in the ring. If unsure cut a bit at a time. When you have the desired length. Begin to rethread the spokes about 9/16 from the end of the spoke down. thread is M4 Pitch .7

The fun part. :)
You have all the spokes cut and threaded. Time to relace the wheel and check everthing. True the wheel to the best of your ability. If the spokes dont stick out past the nipples and puncture you tube. Your good. If they are not in more than a 1/4in. Your good.
Now you send out both inner and outer spokes to someone who can make you a new set.
I threaded mine, but came out like crap.

Remember outer spokes have a perfect 90 deg elbow and the inner spokes have a bit more than 90deg. 18 of each obviously if its a 36 spoke wheel.

Good luck

I don't advocate cutting spoke threads, they need to be cold rolled for strength. there are a few companies who do this in the US, but I'm UK based so only know them.

cutting spoke threads will weaken the spoke.

I totally agree. Its just to get the proper spoke length. I ordered new spokes to size. They copied the spokes I had cut and threaded. I think it was something like 90 bucks. Well worth it. You don't wanna compromise the tensile strength of a spoke, and your life more importantly.
Since were on the topic. Do you use thread tight on the spokes or not? I getting mixed messages.

^ Those are for the XS650. Are the hub flanges on the XS400 the same diameter and width as on the XS650?

Hmmm. Good point. I'm not sure. This is my first go 'round trying to re-lace a rim. Apparently there is a lot more to it than I anticipated.

drewpy, jochicos, thanks for the input!

I.... Do you use thread tight on the spokes or not? I getting mixed messages.

no, you need to be able to check and tighten spokes as they stretch!

I have used a local guy who wheel builds for a Manx GP team and he never uses thread lock!

Well, the Capitol City Custom Cycle Show and Swap is next weekend here in Des Moines. I'll be looking for a different sporty tank and a 36 spoke 21" rim. If I can't find a rim there, I have seen the Akront 36 spoke 21" rims on eBay. I'm still a little lost on getting it laced to the stock hub, but I guess I'll hit you guys up when I come to the bridge.
Thanks for all the input so far!

Back