Let's Go Racing

Wolfe_11B

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to start up a thread that will serve as a journal of my racing exploits with my XS400. Hopefully it will peak some interest in others to come out and get involved as well.

For those that haven't seen my build thread, I've finished my race bike. Here is the link if you'd like to catch up-http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12753&highlight=cafe+racer+build. Started as a 'cafe racer' (I hate using that term these days, as it is supposed to refer to a type of rider, not a motorcycle) but slowly turned into a semi-dedicated race bike.

I currently have it setup for landspeed racing, and that is how it will remain all year. Had to pull my head off and toss it onto a stock motor to meet the 400cc limit in my class. The other bottom end will be used for road racing at a later time.

My first race will be April 29th to May 1st at the Ohio Mile in Wilmington, Ohio. I suppose a little bit of history will explain what it's all about. The Ohio Mile is a sanctioned national landspeed event, run by an official timing organization known as the East Coast Timing Association(ECTA). The ECTA was brought about to bring Bonneville and El Mirage type speed trials to the east coast. Since there are no dry lake-beds in this part of the country, they found that unused airfields made for a nice alternative to the salt flats. The races used to be at Maxton in North Carolina, but the airfield was marked as off limits in 2011. So they found another runway going unused here in Ohio.

The event is run on a mile long course. Your speed is 'trapped' in the final 132ft of the mile. On the salt flats the course is much longer(4-5 miles I think) since they have the room for it, and it allows for the high powered/extremely fast vehicles to get traction on the salt before being timed. The awesome thing about landspeed racing is that there is a class for EVERYTHING, and each class has a separate record that you are trying to beat. You could race everything from a steam powered bicycle to a jet powered truck.

I will be competing for a record in the Modified Partial Streamlining frame class, Overhead Cam Twin(Gas Powered) engine class, 400cc Four Stroke displacement class. My class would be shortened as- MPS/TG-400/4 and my bikes registration number is 9203. The ECTA is great since they separate 4-stroke motors from 2 stroke motors. Out in the salt they don't differentiate between the two, so most of the records are unbeatable in the smaller displacements with a four stroke. As it stands right now, no one in the ECTA has a record for my class, so no matter what I run I will be the record holder. I'm actually hoping that someone else is at the first meet in the same class, would be more fun to have a little competition! To break down my class a little more- MPS means that I have some type of fairing or other items that direct airflow around the rider. My fork swap, rear-sets, frame bracing, bars, etc also default me into the modified category. The 'gas' portion means that I can only run event fuel, which is a choice of about 10 different 'pump' style gases as well as all sorts of leaded/unleaded/oxygenated race gases. If I wanted to run alcohol/methanol/etc I would be moved to the 'fuel' class.

My bike has to meet a set of general rules that all other bikes have to meet as well for the event. It also has a set of rules that fall under the class designation. Luckily while building the bike, I had met most of the requirements simply by luck (more like being OCD). The only things I have left to do safety wise to meet the rules is to build a chain-guard and a better battery hold down. Only other thing I will do is race prep the bike the week before my runs- remove the headlight/taillight and unneeded electronics, remove the starter, remove the mirrors, fresh oil.

I had to get all new gear as well for the event. They require a full leather suit, Snell approved helmet (DOT isn't good enough), unperforated full leather gloves, and the tall style leather riding boots. I grabbed a good deal on a nice new HJC Snell approved helmet. Hi-viz coloring too, so I may use it as my daily riding helmet.
24470401243_74b63cf776_o.jpg

A member from another forum donated a full leather suit to me. It's older but will work perfectly. I just freshened it up with a little paint and leather sheen to make it look less 90's.
Before-
24729565779_333838e1c9_o.jpg

After-
25003897281_35f530f9f6_o.jpg

Scored these nice Gaerne road race boots on ebay for next to nothing.
24729530779_092178fac4_o.jpg

For gloves I just got a cheap set of Icon knockoffs from the Chinese. They are one of the rare gloves with no perforations and not gauntlet style (and only cost $16 new!)
25070935946_16b638670c_o.jpg

So my goal is to run ~110mph. I would be happy with 100 and even happier with 115. I have spent countless hours doing the math on all this, and 110 seems to be the limit. My calculations were all done assuming a certain ride height, wheel base, center of gravity, coefficient of drag, horsepower/torque curve, gearing, max RPM, etc. So it should be fairly close. The bike will reach top speed right at the half mile point and just cruise along til the finish line. Playing with gearing is pointless, as it will only change the point of where I reach the max speed, not the max speed itself. I can pretty much roll at idle to the midpoint then gun it if I want.

I'll update the thread as I work on the bike and get to the event. Still need to get it on the dyno to look at the curve and find out where my rpm limit is. I'll eventually post race results and gopro vids of my runs.

If you have any questions or want to get involved, feel free to ask!

Links for landspeed racing-
East Coast Timing Association-Ohio Mile
Loring Timing Association- 1.5 and 1 mile races on airstrip
Southern California Timing Association and Bonneville Nationals- Speed Week, World Finals, and El Mirage
Utah Salt Flat Racers Association- World of Speed
Texas Mile- 1 mile run on airstrip
US Mile- Houston half mile, Arkansas mile, and Colorado mile

That awesome! :thumbsup:

Hope it goes well. It's all in the build thread but maybe we can get a summary of the work done to the bike? And planned work?

Any future performance upgrades planned?

Performance Upgrades (at least I hope they are)-

Flatslide carbs with remotely adjustable main jets
Longer intake runner length
Ported intake and exhaust on the head
Head milled to the max(or minimum depending on how you look at it) to increase compression ratio
Lightened rocker arms
Valve job on Serdi
Megacycle cam regrind
Landspeed shortblock has stock crank, rods, and pistons
Roadrace shortblock has lightened/balanced crank, lighter rods, and special pistons
Custom 2 into 1 exhaust with Cone Engineering race megaphone
Wideband controller for AFR and RPM logging
Oil cooler
REM polished transmission components
EBC carbon fiber clutch plates
RS125 forks
Ducati front brake rotor. Will probably remove the rotor, caliper, line, and master cylinder for the landspeed events. Just extra weight and drag
Wider aluminum rims on spoke hubs, rigged for tubeless use
Avon race compound tires
520 chain and sprockets
Braced swingarm. Will probably be removed for landspeed, once again just extra unnecessary weight for a straight line
Full airtech fairing and windscreen
Pamco ignition
Carbon fiber bars
Deltran LiFePO4 battery

I'm probably forgetting some things, It's been so long since I started.

Future upgrades will include an oil spray nozzle system for better piston cooling. That's about the performance limit, not much more can be done for my class. It's all about reducing weight now. Might move to a carbon fiber tank and seat, using the current tank and seat as a mold.

Awesome can't wait to see all the pics/vids:thumbsup: When you remove the starter don't forget to remove the starter clutch as well. It weights about 2lbs in it's self.

Going to send of my leathers to a nice young lady to have an aerodynamic hump added. I'd make one myself since I have the capabilities, but it would be an uber pain in the ass since the armor liner in the suit needs to come out for the sewing. She only charges $80 shipped to add the hump.

Believe it or not, on the mile, that simple thing can add 1mph to my trap speed. Helps prevent drag from the air after it flows over your windscreen and helmet. Gotta try and keep the flow as laminar as possible!

Awesmoe can't wait to see all the pics/vids:thumbsup: When you remove the starter don't forget to remove the starter clutch as well. It weights about 2lbs in it's self.

Yes that is for sure coming off!

I was going to go as far as removing the kickstart mechanism as well and just use a roller to start, but removing that right cover becomes annoying after a while.

You can alway just pull the lever off:wink2: Weight is weight. Also don't forget the driver:laugh: Another thing to concider is using aluminum and titainium fasteners. I replace most of them on my 80 ( at least the smaller easier to get to ones) and saved me about 8-10lbs. If you do axels, sprockets and the swingarm it can add up fast. Or better yet chromoly frame.

Just out of curiosity - what about the total weight of your bike? Do you know it already? Something was removed but something was added (swingarm reinforcement, fairing...)

Out of curiosity, what fuel are you thinking of running? C9? C10?

C10 most likely. They have it at the event and anything else they offer would be overkill I think. The place I'm going to dyno at has a few of the VP fuels to try out, so I'll start with the C10 and see if the oxygenated fuels make any difference. Doubt they will other than make the bike run richer.

Just out of curiosity - what about the total weight of your bike? Do you know it already? Something was removed but something was added (swingarm reinforcement, fairing...)

It will be weighed ;) I was going to run it up to a local place with a certified scale (they do it for a few dollars) but the snow came back, so that will have to wait. I'm guessing it's not much different from stock right now. Getting a baseline now will help though. With what is getting pulled off before the race I can drop it another 50 lbs or so.

ever thought about getting rid of the rear shocks? just add a brace instead, save A FEW Lbs there.

maybe run Rollie free style too :laugh:

Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg

Oh I totally would do that, unfortunately they added a rule against that after he did it and others copied, falling off to their deaths-

7.B.7 FOOTRESTS- Footrests must be provided as per requirements of the class entered and the rider must use them during the entire run.

They ruin everything with rules ;)

As for the rear shocks, I've read on the land-speed forums that most advise against rigid rears unless it was built like that from the factory and you are running in the production class. Has something to do with instability at max speed.

Does anybody have a drum brake swingarm laying around that they can weigh on a postal scale for me? I've been offered an aluminum swingarm from a 90's bike that will bolt up with a bushing change, but the beefyness of the alloy swingarm almost looks like it will weigh more than the stock tube steel.

I weighed one off an 81 with the oem plastic bushings still in it and got 6lb 13oz.

Back