Literally Stuck: Top-End Reassemble.

pbr206

Lost my Wrench
Reaction score
So...

I am reassembling the cylinders, Pistons slide in and everything goes fine.

I put on the Cylinder Head, again, no problem.

On goes the camshaft, timing chain, tensioners, etc. just great.

When I manually turn the crankshaft with my wrench, everything moves easily and without hinderance. Great!

Then I put on the rocker arms/valve cover following the manual. Bolt 1, then 2, then 3, etc, until all the bolts are on, and tightened to spec.

I try turning the crankshaft over again with the wrench, and it does about 3/4 of a full rotation, then stops. This isn't just a spot that "catches", this is like, if I use any force, something bad is going to happen...

What did I do when I put the valve cover back on that would cause this problem... Valve clearances???

Again, the camshaft moves freely, at best I can say that the point at which the crankshaft stops turning is when the left exhaust valve is opening.

It has to be a valve clearance issue, right?

Valve hitting the pistons. Camshaft is likely off slightly.
Redo the reassembly procedure being extra careful that the crank is at LT, all pips point up, camshaft sprocket lines are perfectly horizontal and aligned with the mating surface of the head.

:agree:...had the same happen to me on my engine rebuild....
Timing was off...pistons were contacting valves...
Recheck timing.

That was exactly the problem... but now I have a new problem.

Is it at all possible that my rear cam chain tensioner could have slipped into the crankcase?

When I reset the camshaft, and removed that camchain tensioner assembly, I did not see the chain guide. I know it was there... I would think that it is too long of a piece to fall all the way in and not be visible. Fuck.

I really don't want to take the engine out and open up the crankcase. :banghead: FFS, I really need things to go my way for a bit..

Back