Lola's Build ~ '78 XS400 2E

sayosen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Here's Lola. If you want to read her story, check out my intro. Anyway, I thought I would document her build and ask questions as I go!

full
[/IMG]

Her seat is a little rough. Vinyl is roached, but the foam is good. Seat pan is solid, but the rear plastic cowl has a broken tab. Do they all break there?

In any event, I won't be using the seat, so if anyone needs one, let me know.

full

And now for a question... When removing one of the slightly crust coils, some of this stuff that looks like hardened ear wax came off. On the other bikes I have worked on, I have never seen anything like this. Assuming it is some sort of sealant. Is this a problem? Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have seen this before?

picture.php

Check the coil for cracks or damage. The wax like substance may have leaked out. Some coils have oil or other non-conducting substances in them to act as a coolant - just like large electrical transformers.

its because the ignition has been left on and the wax in the coils have melted due to the heat.

just need to do an OHM check on them to ensure they are within spec.

before you ask its in the manual

Dave & Dwerpy - thanks for info and suggestions. I'd gone through the two manuals I have and searched the forum before posting the question - absolutely no mention of ear wax! I have the ohm specs - will try to check them today and post the results.

Keep in mind that even if the coil checks ok with an ohm meter, it may still be bad. The high voltage developed by the coil can do things a low voltage meter can't.

Coils are tested and its official - they're toast! One came back 5ohms Primary & 17kohms Secondary... and that's the good one! The other came back 4 ohms Primary & wide open on the Secondary. So I will add coils to list of parts to source along with fork seals, tach cable, lock washers and such.

Tear down is done - plenty of painters' tape, sandwich bags and sharpies were used! Overkill perhaps, but I HATE sifting through a bunch of parts in a bin trying to piece something back together.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks Dave. Progress continues... stripped the black plastic from the levers and hit them on the wire wheel

full

Then shaved the knobs, hit them with the grinding wheel before finishing them by hand.

full

Totally stole the idea from Spin Cycle Industries.

Be very careful with those levers! Without the balls on the ends it is much easier for your hands to slip off. and if you drop the bike, they can stab you. Or if you clip a pedestrian, stab them. :(

Just saying...

Be very careful with those levers! Without the balls on the ends it is much easier for your hands to slip off. and if you drop the bike, they can stab you. Or if you clip a pedestrian, stab them. :(

Just saying...

Dang it, Dave! Why didnt you tell me all this before I chopped them!:yikes:

I knew it was going too smooth... one of the screws which attaches the brace snapped off. I don't think I am even going to attempt this one. I see a visit to my local machine shop in the very near future.

full

The "obligatory" engine pic. One of the cleanest engines I have pulled out of a bike. Hoping she's just as nice inside... but we are never that lucky, are we?

full

Back