Lola's Build ~ '78 XS400 2E

Sand blasting day. Started with 2 frames, 2 swing arms, 2 rims, 4 fenders, a front brace, and a battery box - all with various amounts of rust and grime.

full

After a few hours in the box...

full

Got a new set of custom made leather grips in for Lola. Found a guy named Mark Gypson who makes leather belts and watch straps to do them up right!!

full

Still trying to figure out the seat/Tail section... Started with a simple rounded off seat.

full

Wasn't quite what I was looking for. So mocked this up. Still undecided...

full

full

any thoughts or opinions?

That is looking better to me. Have you considered using the shape of the tank as a guide? I'm thinking a smaller but similar profile, just reversed front to rear. So where the front of the tank is rounded, the rear of the seat would be rounded. Does that make sense?

That is looking better to me. Have you considered using the shape of the tank as a guide? I'm thinking a smaller but similar profile, just reversed front to rear. So where the front of the tank is rounded, the rear of the seat would be rounded. Does that make sense?

I actually did use the tank as the inspiration & tried to match the angles - I think it looks a little heavy still. I hadn't thought of doing an opposing symmetry (curve-angle:angle-curve) - I may just have to tinker with that.

I also saw this XS360 build by Hookie in Germany. I usually prefer tanks and tails matching, but this one looks good to me for some reason. Perhaps this is more in line with what you were thinking, Dave?

full

full

The new seat pan for Lola (a ‘78 XS400), made with love and a little cursing, out of an IBM server tower side panel! We are computer-geeks-at-heart.

full

Unsolicited comment from a friend, “Oh, so you made an ironing board…”

full

Pics are before final trimming and fitting... and now onto the rear cowl!

When I started working on Lola, I had a clear idea where I wanted her to go.She was to be a brat style build, but that has changed over the course of the build since the seat and tail just weren't working for me.

I, along with my buddy Dave, fabbed a rear cowl out of a computer side panel.
full

Using a protractor and what I remember of high school geometry, we made 12 cuts and 4 folds to make it.
full

Pretty pleased with how it came out. Next, I need to figure out the tail light which I think I want to recess into the cowl.
full

full

Hey Sayosen--this is great progress I like your functional origami skills. I think you've inspired me to create a thread for my build as well. My wife will love it--not only time in the garage, but now more time on the laptop! I'll be running a flat seat as well, but minus the rear cowl.

Hey Sayosen--this is great progress I like your functional origami skills. I think you've inspired me to create a thread for my build as well. My wife will love it--not only time in the garage, but now more time on the laptop! I'll be running a flat seat as well, but minus the rear cowl.

Thanks Chris! Updates have been a bit slow as I have been knocking rust of bits and polishing others... doesn't really make for exciting photos/posts. Should be starting reassembly in the next few weeks.

As for the origami - still debating making it a convertible 1 up/2 up seat with a removable cowl.

Also, start the build thread and shoot me the link so I can check it out!

Been busy in the shop, but haven't been posting. Lola is shaping up. Got the frame painted and ready to roll - descided to go with a subtle fire engine red! Opinions have ranged from "Damn cool frame" to "It's nice... for a girl's bike".

Got the new tires in... only after trying to mount the old rubber and realizing they weren't going to work. Got them mounted and trued up. Decided to test fit the tank/seat pan/ and cowl...

You can also see a test of the side cover mod. Used an old busted cover with broken tabs.

full

Realized there is a clearance issue at the back end... apparently the idiot - that would be me - who did the initial measurements, got it wrong. While an inch of clearance looks really cool, it isn't going to work out on the road. So toying with the idea of either modifying the pan/rear cowl or switching over to a simple seat. Either way, I need to modify the loop I put in.

As always, take one step foward and get kicked in the junk...

Here is a mock up of what a modified rear cowl would look like thanks to my mad MSPaint skills!

full

Back