Lola's Build ~ '78 XS400 2E

Would anyone know - or be able to measure - the standard clearance height (with standard shocks/tires) on the back wheel of '78 XS400 2E? I am thinking 4" might be enough. One of the old timers in the shop said 2.5" was plenty. Any thoughts?

That headlight is seriously cool!

An ebay find - a steal really! The plastic is chewed up. Not sure, but I think the last owner tried to clean it with a wire wheel. It was ugly as home-made sin, but the plastic wasnt brittle. She's coming along nicely with glazing and high build primer!

Here is the chopped frame. Hated to see the loop go, but it just wasn't going to work they way I had it. Working with a guy for the custom seat - once it arrives, I will either weld a modified angled loop back in or a another crss strap at the rear.

full

Chopped 3.5 inches off either end of the fron fender. I know lots of guys run without them - I see the need and even like the look of a fender... just not a factory length on.

I told my buddy Dave he could use the left over fender tips as small cowls for his gauges on his Kawasaki... I don't think he was impressed with my creativity or generosity.

full

Obligatory shop pic with douchy hipster filter in place! Helps to distract from the large amount of oil dry on the floor. (Note to self: Do not tip engine over to paint logo when the crank case cover is open)

full

After a few months off to work on '64 Honda C102 Super Cub for my Sister-In-Law, its back to working on my XS400. Here are a few pics of the Rear Cowl/Pan that I fabricated for her.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I cheated and used Rust-oleum High heat in flat aluminum! We've used it on a few engines and it seems to do well. They also have a high heat clear. Like anything else you paint though, the proper prep and patience are the key.

full

Finally some progress... Got her up and running, dialed in and synched! Sent the pan off to upholstery and she came back today.

full

Had to check the seat out on the bike one last time and now she is off to paint.

full

full

full

Finished assembly on Lola over the weekend. Other than a few paint issues to sort out and leaking pet cock, she's ready to roll!

full

full

full

full

full

Awsum, I like that tail, maybe something similar for my SR.
I'd like to see it sit parallel with the bottom of the tank, tho ,
right now it feels like the seat wants to wheelie off..

Back