looking for opinions on an 82 XS400sj tracker build

PEImatrix

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My dad and I wheeled a 1982 xs400sj into his garage a few months ago. I'd really like to do a tracker build, but I'm hoping you guys might give me some guidance before we start Here are some details

- this will be my 2nd project bike
- I can't weld, so I'll have to get someone to handle that for me
- I wanna keep to a small budget
- the bike has been in a garage for years, and is rough
- we did start it via the kickstart, and let it run for about 30 seconds. Was only firing on 1 cyclinder.
- I wanna keep the bike light
- I'm thinking Euro style handle bars
- I wanna us original rims and tank
- tires are shot
- fork seals leak
- headlight lens, rings, and lamp are missing
- will need carb work obviosly
- frame mods will be minimal. Remove rear section of seat frame and replace with typical hoop bend. Possibly relocate a smaller battery below seat. Remove passanger pegs and the small bit of frame if it's safe/stable to do so.
- I want to go with a very simple seat 24" brat style (no racer bump at the back)
- I'd like to go without battery cover panels (I'd like to keep this space open)
- I want tires that'll work on a dirt raod and the street.
- the battery is shot
- I'll be painting the bike myself

And that's kinda my thought so far...
Any advice about the concept or build?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

My advice is to get it running well (perfectly if possible) before starting any modifications. Ride it for a while and then start cutting stuff up.

also post some pictures!

I understand what you mean, but I'd have to do quite a bit of work to do to it before I could ever ride it though, so I thought, why not just jump right into it. Also, I have another bike that - ride. Also, we got the bike for free, so that saves approx $500 right off the top! :)

of course, but just think about this: if it's not running well now, there is a reason for it. If you start hacking off exhausts, changing filters and doing those sort of things, you add more reasons for it not running well. It's much easier to fix one thing at a time.

Make sure it runs well without any mods, then add a mod, see if it still runs well and if not, you'll know why. Not saying you should do a full stock restoration, but you get the idea ;)

Here's a pic of my 89 xv535 project bike that I worked on last year. It's what I drive every day now. This winter my plan is to pull the carbs to clean and re-jet them for the free flow exhaust, paint the front forks gloss black, powdercoat the wheels, and I might shorten up the rear fender and replace the rear brake light.

Attachments

• IMG-20140514-01435.jpg
    IMG-20140514-01435.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 345
You may want to make sure the bike is jetted correctly now or you may burn up a valve or put a hole in a piston:wink2:

Usually going to a free flow exhaust will cause a lean condition with stock jetting. The head pipes on your bike look to be very blued from high heat. If your spark plugs are black or sooty then it is rich. If they are white then you lean.

Lean is bad. Clean your carbs properly and sync. Purchase a fuel filter and fuel shutoff valve. Assuming the compression is good in both cylinders and both have properly timed spark, It should run well enough to begin regular maintenance like oil and filter, plugs, air filter. Its pointless to work on a machine that wont run properly.

Sorry its not pointless to work on a machine that wont run. Just expensive and time consuming and frustrating. best of luck with the project

Back