Looking for.

WelderDave

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So this spring I’ll be doing some work on the swing arm bushings and I figured I’d get some of the maintenance items done, in addition to everything else. Ps. Decided to spend the money and get some working gauges instead of just going without.
So my question is, does anyone know where I can get new mechanical advancer springs and a crank case breather elbow? I have the pod filter on the breather, but I’d like an elbow to get it out of the way if possible.

You cant get new advancer springs. The only option is to buy a used points setup or an aftermarket ignition. XS650 springs will not work as I have tried them. You may get lucky with parts from a Honda or something but I do not know. The elbow you can get used as well. Im sure you can go to an auto parts place and fins the right size hose and make it work though.

Alright, I may have to cut a loop off and make a new hook end if I have to, otherwise it will have to switch to the electronic one everyone talks about on here for replacement. Thanks man!

I would say that if you took a coil off of the springs, they would be way too tight and would make for a really bad advance. Youre probably better off using elastic bands made for dental braces at that point.

Easiest option is to buy a used setup. No extra work needed. I picked up a couple used ones a while back and they all were fine. The advance weights can only swing so much before they hit the stops.

Ive had the Pamco and the Newtronic optical ignition and they both failed due to other issues with the bike. What I like about points is that they dont just outright fail and leave you with no chance of a roadside repair.

I just picked up the original Pamco ignition made for the points advance. Im not positive on this, but Im pretty sure both Pamco ignitions are no longer available and very hard to find new. I cant wait to install it actually.

Maybe I’ll just have to leave it alone then. The bike only has 12,000 miles or so, and the points looked brand new when I got it.
I haven’t even put 500 miles on it yet, and I also checked the valves with feeler gauges and they were all on point too, so the guy must have taken pretty good care of it. I’m the second owner of the bike since it was new.

Back