MAC 2 into 1 Exhaust Install

Yeah I noticed that same issue with the exhaust studs. When I put the new copper washers on they are obviously not compressed so I had to try to get the nut to catch as best as I could. After some messing around I got the nut to catch enough to tighten it onto the exhaust. Going with the longer one's will definitely prevent you having to wrestle with them in the future.

I picked up some 56mm studs at the local auto parts store; worked like a charm! These seem to be a good length for easy exhaust installation; they even have little hex tips for easy stud installation and removal.

I just put mine on. I think the copper washers helped with the distance to front of engine clearance. I have to run up to the auto store for the nut. my old exhausts had the nut interior to the muffler, so when I got rid of my mufflers, I didn't know I was going to need the nut. Not that I would have been able to get it out.

I was able to thread the nuts on to the studs slowly like in a see-saw fashion for one side to grip, then the other side, then I could go to town.

is their a way of using the original finned collars some how, just fitted the mac on to my 79, but it would look a lot better with the finned collars, anyone else done this?

I just did this install on my 78 XS400E

It was pretty easy but I was getting a little exhaust leak on the left side so I bought new copper exhaust gaskets and put them in and now everything is working great!

I rejetted the carbs. Stock in my bike for the main jets was 132.5 and I put 142.5's in and raised the carb needles up one slot. Turned my mixture screws out 3 turns and synced the carbs with the homemade manometer and it runs great and has some good power and sound. The old pipes were rusted through in spots so it is such a big difference!

I also have a '78 400E, And am planning on getting this system. is this the one you ordered? https://www.partsgiant.com/p343532-...WCAmjONiRLeTMOEbs8NnoEex1kBjPShBoCqzAQAvD_BwE

nice to know you umped to 142.5's, ill do the same for my bike then and see how she goes. Are you running uni pods?

I also have a '78 400E, And am planning on getting this system. is this the one you ordered? https://www.partsgiant.com/p343532-...WCAmjONiRLeTMOEbs8NnoEex1kBjPShBoCqzAQAvD_BwE

nice to know you umped to 142.5's, ill do the same for my bike then and see how she goes. Are you running uni pods?

That one should fit fine. I just put a set on my 81 and they are all the same. Some have issues hitting the front motor mounts on the later models as they extend forward......makes it easy to remove the motor compared to the ones that go in but sucks for the exhaust.

I also upped my jets one size but run the factory air boxes on this one.

Back