Machining up some swing arm bushings

thekrnel

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have the dimensions for the swing arm bushings from a 1980 XS400 SOHC. I am going to machine some bronze bushings like they sell on MikesXS.

Last edited:
If you do this successfully consider selling them on here. The cheapest I have ever seen them was for about $35; often closer to $50. If you can beat that you might have a few customers.

If you make some make sure to put a spiral groove in them for grease otherwise you can gull the bolt sleeve.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 359
here is the link with some dimensions...

Total Length: 1-9/16"
ID (Inner Diameter): 7/8"
OD (Outer Diameter): 1-5/16" (widest end w/flange extrusion)
OD (Outer Diameter): 1-5/16" (slim end without flange extrusion)

anyway someone should confirm these numbers...

I have an '81 swing-arm in my garage that's out. It's the wider one with a 16" rear wheel I believe. I'm not sure if the bushings are the same, but I would suspect they are. The rear axle appears to be the same except a grease fitting is added compared to my '78.

I am a little leery of the numbers you posted. Shouldn't they be in metric? Or at least have a tolerance on the SAE numbers. Example: .890" I.D. to fit over a .875" bolt

And I will be sure to include grease grooves!!

Without buying a brand new set I don't know if anyone will be able to provide specs accurate enough to use for machining work. Even if I were to remove the plastic stock ones they probably change size after 35 years and I don't have accurate enough tools.

If you calculate the cost of materials and labor it might be worth your time to simply buy a set for yourself and use that set to produce more. No one else is doing this.

If the shaft bushing for the SOHC bike is available, while the shaft bushing for the DOHC 83 400 like mine is not. Would it make sense to use the available shaft, and put in bronze bushings instead of the roller bearings.
I have the roller bearings, cups and washer / spacers. This week I am off to the machine shop to see what they can do with the old shaft. Part number is 12R 22184 00. Found one on ebay UK. Will purchase if need be. But bronze bushings would also interest me.
Mine is a mono shock.

Unkle Crusty

Not sure about the dohc bikes. Maybe one of those guys will chime in on this.

Back