Manchester

Buxton is pretty, Matlock not too far from there either
WP_20161002_002_zpsaj6eoiao.jpg

Matlock Bath few weeks ago

Don't know if you're familiar with the Peak District (Buxton area) but there are some great roads around there. The (in)famous Cat'n'Fiddle road runs from Buxton to Macclesfield, named after the pub at the top which has unfortunately closed recently. There are some interesting old drinking places in Macc and you could always take the train into Stockport or Manchester if you're stuck for ideas. You'll have had a butcher's at the Buxton pubs by now. There are a few goodies. Drewpy's suggestion of Matlock is worth a look. Reminds me of a seaside town..good fish'n'chips! Can get busy at weekends but quieter at this time of year.
I'm in Wilmslow, the other side of Macclesfield.
Slight diversion here, but hi to Drew. My XS build is back on track after an unplanned sabbatical. I threw my RVF400 down the road up on the Cat'n'Fiddle last year and it's taken this long to piece it (and me) back together (and we're talking Tesco-bags of shattered fairing). In fact I took that upper yoke (triple-tree to you US guys) and bar clamps you gave me, in the box of bits, to be polished up yesterday.

I'm fine now and so is the RVF. Took me a long time to hunt down the parts I needed. You might know it was never officially imported here, and it's 22 years old, so eBay and the greybike forum were my main sources. The XS build should pick up as we slide into winter and other diversions disappear. Engine's out, carbs dismantled and rebuilt, frame's been chopped and tidied but no welding yet. Wheels are going for a rebuild and powder-coat. Forks will be stripped as soon as I've mastered the Youtube instructions.
Don't know if you were aware of the Revival Bike Show in Rotherham? Endorsed by the Bike Shed crew. I was over there yesterday. Well worth a visit.

Shame, you missed a goodie. Only 1hr 40m by train and £7 to get in. Good beer in the bar opposite. Much smaller but a more friendly atmosphere than the Bike Shed show in London. Full of you cheerful northerners I guess, not all trying to look 'cool'. Pleasant change.
Next stop the NEC next month, mainly to check out the range of Triumphs, especially the Street Twin and Bobber.

Back