Maxim... turned 3-Wheeler!! The YAMAHAULER 400

FarmBoy72

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I had purchased an 82 maxim just because the price was right, the guy thought the engine was bad but he just wasn't mechanically inclined enough to figure out that the ignition wasn't getting any power.
I had been looking for a use for it, the bike wasn't in a good enough condition to restore so I decided that a 3-wheeler would be fun.

Picked up the Yamaha 200 3-wheeler at my uncle's shop and began to hack them into one.

Here is what I have so far;

20130808_112633.jpg

20130808_112655.jpg

20130809_151957.jpg

Last edited:
So if you dont mind sharing the price on this find how much did you end up paying?If you dont want to share in public you can send me a pm.I ask because Im looking for a dohc engine as a winter project.I want to put a dohc engine in our xs400 frame.

And how is it? Looks like you have it geared for speed, does it rip? Any plans for a larger front fender to keep the mud off the engine? It would suck to over heat it...

It's actually geared about right, with the smaller rear wheels its already geared down quite a bit from when it was a bike, at a high idle i can let out of the clutch without giving it any gas in 1st, but a few more rear teeth wouldn't hurt a bit. I'll decide later when the sprockets are needing replaced. Also i do have the mudflap for the front fender, its definitely going back on :thumbsup:

I actually put the rear axle out farther to keep the front on the ground :wink2:, i'd rather spin the tires than flip it over backwards on myself

Hopefully I can get the carburetors tuned tomorrow evening to make it run like a striped ass ape, it currently doesnt want to pull over 5000 rpm or make more than about 1/3 of its rated HP, but when your only using panty hose as an air filter, it tends to make these vacuum slides run erradic. But i did get some pods today so no worries, should be smooth sailing and full power from here on out!

Back