maybe a cafe build.....

cafedan

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hello.. im new to the board here. im dan and live in austin,tx. heard about the site from a guy who has xs400 parts for sale on craigslist.
i picked up this off craigslist about 3 months ago, went through the carbs and got it running really well. just need to decide what im going to do now. haha i know its not a 400 but so similar in many ways. looks like a cool site with really good info.
so i bought it with 3000 original miles and garage kept all its life. im really struggling to cut her up. hahaha

d4e2a142.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
welcome, what's that, a 360? Don't worry, I've got the 250 version, only a few engine internals make the difference.:D

Oh, and few horses too :mad:

Hmm, must be the extra meat on the barrels to take account of the smaller pistons ....?

yeah.... you can probably tell i rigged it up myself. haha it works really good though.

ive never seen the 250! ill bet thats fun!

quite the nice little trailer setup and bike you got there

thanks fubar, i bought the trailer from harbor freight and am really happy with the bike purchase :) when i went and looked at the bike, he wanted $750 but he couldnt find the title. so i gave him $400 with the intensions of paying the rest after he found the title. he called back a few weeks later and said he couldnt find it. so.... i got it for $400 but will have a bonded title for a few years.

what years did they make the 250? were they sold in the states? i personally like the smaller cc bikes myself. :thumbsup:
The 250 was made alongside the 400 time-wise, and according to the parts book I have was available in most of Europe as well as the UK. Don't think the 250 was ever sold in the US.
Up to the late '70's here in the UK, learners could ride up to 250cc, so it was a very popular size, and the Japs made a comprehensive range of bikes for us to ride.
To be honest, it was one of the slower bikes around, but was still good for around 80/82mph, and our countrywide legal limit is 70, so not really a lot to complain about.
(Though they went better with a skinny 17 year old on board, than a fat 49 year old :laugh:).

Maybe a bit OT, but gravel crew have built a couple of xs250 bikes.
Pretty neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you cafe it, then you got quite a few nice stock bits to flog and recoup the cost. Also noticed you got the left hand fork leg with the mounts for an extra caliper, twin disc would make it look racier :thumbsup:

If you cafe it, then you got quite a few nice stock bits to flog and recoup the cost. Also noticed you got the left hand fork leg with the mounts for an extra caliper, twin disc would make it look racier :thumbsup:

yeah i do have some nice parts for sure. right now my goal is to get it ridable and tuned to where i want, then build a cafe. i was almost thinking bobber, just because my last build was a cafe. oh i will share.... its a honda though, so dont throw eggs at it. haha

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

opps forgot this part... why is there an xtra brake mount on my forks? this has been stumping me for some time.

opps forgot this part... why is there an xtra brake mount on my forks? this has been stumping me for some time.

because yamaha were thinking of having twin disks, but from the 400 they took it off the new castings.

I fitted mine with twin disks and I can lock the front up if I want (that's on modern tyres as well) :D

nice H.H.H.Honda (there I said it!)

because yamaha were thinking of having twin disks, but from the 400 they took it off the new castings.

I fitted mine with twin disks and I can lock the front up if I want (that's on modern tyres as well) :D

nice H.H.H.Honda (there I said it!)

thats awesome! twin disks up front. did you have to change the master cylinder?

Back