Mini-Build: Rewiring with Motogadget m-Unit, m-lock, Motoscope tiny, etc

Now my ignorance will show... "contact breaker"? The points have two nondescript wires coming from under the cover. How do I determine left/right with no power to the bike?

Apologies in advance for needing so much help.

Not also colour coded?
You'll want to examine the points eventually. Pop that cover off and read through the manual.
Whichever wire goes to the A side in the photo is for the left cylinder/coil.
Screenshot_20170407-190637.png

I was curious to see what I'd come up with.
No guarantees. Just skimmed the m-unit v2, m-lock and motoscope tiny wiring diagrams. Didn't actually read much.
Rest is from memory and stock wiring diagram for your year.
m-unit controls configuration "C"

Didn't draw it but the condenser does ground to the frame via its mount.

Didn't draw the stock lights on/off switch. Seems like the m-unit diagrams show the headlight on all the time. Probably a good safety feature.
You could run the headlight through it if you wanted to be able to turn the headlight off entirely.

Attachments

• XS400 M-unit wiring diagram (Large).jpg
    XS400 M-unit wiring diagram (Large).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 2,267
@BBS360 WOW!
I have all the lights/switches working (didn't wrap/tape yet... Just loose wires that need cutting and final termination. Likely will be busy with work the next week, but as soon as I have time I will tackle the ignition and keep you all updated. I would post pics but with the m-unit it's not as impressive or as cool as @drewpy wiring thread from years ago!

Just looked at the m-unit and m-button set up on some youtube vids. That is pretty damb cool! Definitely is the way to wire up a build if you got the $$ to go that route. Hope to see more on your setup, post some pics if you can.:thumbsup:

sooo i also am currently installing an m-unit on my xs, everything seems to be pretty straight forward with these little units.. however im going to run stock regulator and rectifier, so as far as connecting the rectifier to the generator goes I see three white wires and one yellow wire, now that one yellow wire from what ive seen and believe just goes up to the headlight to dump extra load and ultimately could be deleted? as long as I have the three whites connected to the rectifier i should be groovy?

cheers!
-mark

Most years don't use the yellow wire.
No load dumping. It's used to activate the headlight relay once the bike is running.

If you don't want to use the headlight relay you only need the three white wires.

Back