1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Minor oil leak on lower part of engine (83 Maxim)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bricks, Oct 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bricks

bricks XS400 Member

After cleaning up the engine I noticed a little oil leak up front on the lower fins and assumed it was the head gasket, but after further inspection it's coming from this little bolt. Anyone know what this is or how to stop the leak?

Attached Files:

2. SWEDE_XS400DOHC

SWEDE_XS400DOHC XS400 New Member

That is one of the stud bolts for the cylinder itself, and it is your cylinder head gasket that needs to be replaced. See part no 5 in the picture below, the red markings is where it most likely has failed.
    cylxs400.JPG gasketxs400.JPG

3. bricks

bricks XS400 Member

Wow, thanks for the diagram! The leak is pretty minor at the moment so I'll probably just let it ride. The bike runs great so just getting mentally prepared for the fix if necessary.

The rule of thumb for leaks (correct me if I'm wrong) is to repair if they will cause damage, loss of compression, cosmetic issues, or needing to add oil more than one would like (last two based on the user).

4. XSLeo

XSLeo XS400 Junkie

If and when you replace the head gasket is a good time to check a few things. Piston to cylinder wall clearance, Ring end gaps, timing chain stretch and tensioner wear.
    Lap the valves, a bit of intake and exhaust clean up. Mostly smooth off casting ridges.
    Maybe even check wear on crank and rods.
    Leo