MmmBoost's '78 XS400 Cafe Project

mmmboost

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker here for a little while so I thought I'd finally chuck up an introduction as well as the project I'm working on. <insert obligatory long intro apology>

I'm a gearhead and have been ever since I can remember. My father and I restored a 1969 Beetle when I was a kid and since then, turning wrenches and building things have been a huge passion in my life. I pretty much can't leave anything alone. In 2009 I bought a 2005 Audi A4 Ultrasport that I spent several years building and modifying. (Build Thread Here) But in 2014 someone crashed into me and the car was written off and ever since then there's been a serious void in my life.

I was always into sportbikes as a kid, so when I started riding motorcycles in 2007 that's what I gravitated toward. I started on a 97 Yamaha YZF-600R, rode that for a few years, and then picked up an '07 Suzuki GSX-R600. That being said, I've always had an appreciation for vintage bikes like the old Indians and Nortons. Over the past few years I've been doing some research and drooling over photos of cafe racers and this XS400 happened to just fall into my lap, so I guess this was the universe's way of saying "the time is now."

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 78 XS400E that's in pretty decent shape.....but definitely not without it's quirks. The engine seems is pretty clean and leak-free which is a good sign, but the bike wasn't running when picked it up. I was assured it does run, but the battery was on it's last legs. I got it home and proceeded to get give it the once over and taking a lot of documentation photos before starting to pull off the stuff that was going in the parts-for-sale pile. My main focus with the bike for this year is to change a few of the cosmetic things that look very dated, but for the most part keep it together and ride it to figure out all of it's quirks and things that I'd like to improve or change. After that nail down a plan and turn this little guy into a unique cafe racer that will be good looking and functional.

And now what you all came for.....the photos.

31rwyTO.jpg

3fUhZM4.jpg

dCTbZGj.jpg

07vd9Ml.jpg

jFOVssJ.jpg

afqXzew.jpg

MAiu59Z.jpg

hXD3Ffy.jpg

idi7Lsb.jpg

LmGGUNg.jpg

Overall the carbs were in pretty good shape, but they had a ton of crap in them. I think the owner had the air filters off and a bunch of crap got into the carbs. Good thing the engine wasn't running.
3GKiAq9.jpg

I finally managed to get the bike to start but it was running like crap and backfiring when hot. This led me to believe something with the timing was off. I ended up finding the timing WAAAAY out and the plug gaps were all screwed up too. Got that sorted and now she starts on the first kick :) Part of the reason the guy got rid of the bike was because it wouldn't start or run properly.....he just assumed the carbs were messed when it was actually the timing.
GjLdmoQ.jpg

Pulled the shocks apart to clean them up. I plan to paint the bodies and ends. Might ditch the chrome caps too. I'm not really a chrome-guy.
TcwGOu1.jpg

And that's where I'm at so far. Hope you guys pop by once in a while to check in on the progress (although it may be slow this year).

Last edited:
I decided to take a look at why the fuel petcock was leaking. The previous owner said that he had "converted it to a non-vacuum petcock" .......I figured there was a kit for it. NOPE. As soon as I saw the cracked half-assed "gasket" I knew I was in for a treat.
1duryn4.jpg

LOL..... a chunk of rubber and a broken bolt head to make a seal. This keeps on getting better.
YzeeWd1.jpg

Things that don't belong in a fuel petcock: Rubber that is not petroleum compatible; a valve stem cap, a broken bolt. I've McGuyver'd some shit in my day.......but this is next level shady.
tgKlrga.jpg

I also replaced the custom shorty brake lever tonight.
eyWxAm1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, nice bike, apart for the Frankenstein peacock, it looks well taken care of.
I will follow this thread as you seem to be documenting very well.

So after doing some reading up on petcocks.....it appears that the previous owner has basically screwed me over by being a cheap-ass and not ordering a rebuilt kit. I can't just order a rebuild kit for my petcock because I'm missing the spring and plastic spacer on the diaphragm side. Great.... So I either modify my current petcock to be manual-only the right way, or order a replacement vacuum one, or replace it with manual one and hope that I find one that fits. The hole spacing on my petcock is 46mm. BTW I'm 100% ok with getting rid of the vacuum function altogether.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
I'll PM you about it Blu! Thank you.

It was a little chilly this morning.....but it finally warmed up in the afternoon to get outside and get some work done. Todays project(s) were to remove the chain guard to clean and paint, clean up all the splung grease from years of overzealous chain oiling, and to finish cleaning up the mufflers, and wrap the headers.

Before (and dog tax......it was bound to happen sooner or later....meet Wiley!)
R69PrvM.jpg

hrPoGEL.jpg

wkbrz4u.jpg

i7Lzc2y.jpg

b0uzzzj.jpg

G2PrSQk.jpg

Sooooo much better.
I4JB9qd.jpg

Didn't get too much done tonight. Removed the cracked rear fender, peeled off the horrendous rim stripe tape on the front wheel, disconnected the hacked together rear master cylinder "upgrade" so I can figure out how and where to mount a MC that's much cleaner, and I finished working on the plugs I started for the upper triple clamp to cover where the original handlebars mounted.

FqKiygR.jpg

shRqtpD.jpg

vkYeeXM.jpg

Nice bike, great pictures, and a fellow Ultrasport owner, doesn't get much better. Good luck with the bike!

Progress was sloooow tonight. I fucked around with the rear brake master cylinder for a while, then cut off the mount that the previous owner welded on. After that I figured I should probably remove the wheel to gain better access to clean up the frame tube except the fucking axle is stuck. It seems like the wheel bearings or spacer are frozen to the axle. I've whacked it as hard as I can with a large deadblow but it still won't come loose. I ended up having to run to the store to grab some penetrating fluid (PB Blaster). I think I'll keep spraying it for a few days and then try and lightly heat the axle with my MAPP torch then give it a few whacks with my large orange persuasion wand.

XYhjjsr.jpg

pGQUoXW.jpg

OY1r6H2.jpg

And that's where she sits for tonight. Pretty disappointing.
H3zroYt.jpg

Back