Model / Year Confusion. Can anyone really tell me what this is.

FiXT

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I had recently bought a "1983 Yamaha Maxim 400" for 500 bucks. When I went to insure it, I gave my insurer all the info related to the bike and they could not pull up the model on the computer. The title states that it is a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 400 so I'm wondering if I am in the right forums.

The motor only has 12k on it and everything on the bike is "stock". I have a few plans for it but nothing outrageous and wanted to make sure I was in the right area when it comes to this bike.

Attachments

• 3590280.jpg
    3590280.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 5320641.jpg
    5320641.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 6185995.jpg
    6185995.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 7061981.jpg
    7061981.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 292
Hi mate, im having the same trouble as you, i have the same bike, although a 250. Over here in oz its titled an 1983 xs 250 special. I havent been able to find any info from the vin either

... When I went to insure it, I gave my insurer all the info related to the bike and they could not pull up the model on the computer. The title states that it is a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 400 so I'm wondering if I am in the right forums ...
This is the right Forum, but like me, you bought a confusing bike. Same name as the sohc but not the same in design.
The owners' manual for my Maxim 400 calls it the "XS400J".

The Ontario Ministry vehicle transfer sales tax receipt which they gave me after I paid the tax refers to the bike as a Yamaha, Model "X4C".

Hopefully PA's computerized records system will recognize one of those ...
Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies, was figuring it was the XS400J but I was hoping to get some responses from others. In the mean time I removed the sissy bar and the windscreen.

You guys have any leads on good places to get things like foot pegs, grips, and a gas tank. During the winter I was planning on either replacing the gas tank or bondo'ing the dent on the right side.

So far for this being my first bike, It's been nothing but a pleasure riding it. Was scared to take it on the 55mph highway speed but it seemed to have kept up nicely without putting to much trouble on the motor. When I first got the bike I was scared I'd not be able to run it on the highway as the speedometer only reads to 80mph.

If you guys have any good leads on some motorcycle websites with available replacement parts or parts that fit the bike please do post.

hello all. I have a slight similar issue. I picked up what i was told was a 1980 yamaha xs400. however on title it only says 1980 yamaha 400cc. no model giving. and there are no markings on the bike other than vin and yamaha emblem. any suggestions on how to confirm this before i get too far into it?

Back