MotoHangar XS400 Cafe revival

e30rob

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, i'd like to introduce myself and my new bike as I will have many questions regarding finding parts and troubleshooting as i'm new to classic bikes. My name is Robert and I came from restoring and driving classic BMW's, mainly E30's!

So to start with my new machine, I picked up the old MotoHangar XS400 through an ad on the Facebook Marketplace! It runs and rides, but could be cleaned up and brought up to date as a few things were kind of questionable.

First thing I would like to address is the starter motor, it failed on me the day after I bought the bike as well as the battery. I tested the starter on the bench with no luck so I am on the look out for a new one or re-manufactured unit, but it seems no one offers either of those options. So I am open to buying a used one if someone has a known good unit kicking around.

To start with I went ahead and ordered replacement cables for the clutch, throttle, and speedometer as well as some silicone boots to replace the original ribbed airbox boot, and will install a small filter for the crank case vent. I will still be using the original factory air boxes however.

After replacing those items, id like to inspect all of the wiring and do some cleaning up. The brake light doesnt illuminate when brakes are applied, as well as speedo illumination. I would also like to replace the front pads and rotor, and make a new seat cushion as the current one is cheap and not comfortable in the slightest.

I will update this thread with photos, as well as progress I make on the bike! I plan to use it as my primary transportation through the summer and then maybe sell it unless I get too attached to it, we'll see..

IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG

Back