Mounted a RD400 Tank on My 77 XS400

SteveK

Steve
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I had asked about this a few weeks back and scoured the boards to find a few unfinished threads about the topic of mounting other tanks to the xs, especially the RD400.

Well, I bit the bullet last week and ordered an eBay special... a 76 RD400 tank (with a few dings in it and barely any rust inside) for $50.

It got here this weekend and today I decided to start the mounting process. I cut off the stock mounts on the RD since my year has the single bolt mount. I found out the RD is too a bit too narrow in the back to fit around the frame anyway, so the mounts had to go either way.

After spending an hour or so hammering away at the underside of the tank, I was able to hollow out it out enough to fit over our three rails (which are just a tad wider than the RD400's) with plenty of room for the coils. The RD tank mounts the same as the XS with the two rubber bushings in front so it slid right in. I bent the tubes on the underside of the tank and they fit fine, I'll be able to connect them with a tube... which I was happy about bc I didn't want to cut them off and plug them up.

All I have to do now is weld a mount on the back of the tank and relocate the mount on my frame and it'll be good to go.

I also took the liberty to hammer out the knee dents a little more since they were banged up anyway... I'm going to use Skillzman's wonderful write up to help me get some bondo on the dents and smooth everything out.

Here are some pics, they are really crappy because it was already dark here and I had to work in my shed bc of rain... I also happened to bash the s*** out of my finger and opted to glue it together rather than go get stitches. Better, more detailed pics to come.

Attachments

• IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 427
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 378
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 355
  • IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 365
Thanks Lee,

I'll be sure to take some more pictures of the underside and how it mounts up... I'll keep everyone updated as I work towards the painted tank.

Also, I'll be posting for sale my original square 77 tank, so if anyone is interested let me know. I'll post pics of it in the actual for sale thread, but it's in amazing condition.

Well I wanted the RD tank because of the stock dents in it (plus the extra fuel compared to the xs tank), but the tank was banged up when I got it, so I figured I'd go all in and knock the dents in a little deeper.

I'm going for a clean cafe look so I'm gonna bondo, smooth out, and paint them. White tank with red stripe down the middle.

Thanks Drewpy! So far I've mounted clip-ons, a new headlight bucket, a new headlight, and cut the front fender, but this was the biggest project so far so I'm really glad it's working out.

I'll definitely do a little write up. I didn't take any before pics of the tank, but I can use the ebay pics. I'll make sure to take pics as I move ahead.

Back