Mounting Stator: Drilling Holes in Engine Case?

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to upgrade the charging system on my xs400, and am trying to figure out how to mount the stator to the engine case. I saw in the thread on this forum about a member who did it who just slapped a metal plate between the casing and outer shell and sealed the gaps with some rubber sealant. Would I be able to drill and tapholes in the casing, perhaps where the ribs are, and mount the plate that way? How much room is there? Thanks!

Great, thanks. Heres a couple pictures. It's the left side of the motor, with the stator taken off the crankshaft. I want to know how thick the material is where the ribs are so that I can figure out if I can drill into them without putting a hole in the case.

Attachments

• KIMG0013.jpg
    KIMG0013.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 397
  • KIMG0012.jpg
    KIMG0012.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 398
Okay here's what I got so far, from what you stated I understood that you wanted the area measured of the top half of the case. So I grabbed my top half here:

The thickness of the bearing area is 11/16ths, the walls between the ribs vary from 3/16ths to a bit less as you get up into where the machining for the piston skirt clearance but the casting obviously takes that into account and probably maintains that thickness.

Hope it helps if you need the bottom half done too, let me know.

Thanks a ton, that's really helpful. It would really help to also get the bottom half, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks

Remember not to drill into any of the oil feed holes.

Attachments

• DSC02674.jpg
    DSC02674.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC02675.jpg
    DSC02675.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 355
Back