MPG

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
What kind of gas mileage does everyone get from their XS400? Just curious if my bike is getting as many mpg as it could. Also, what kind of tricks/mods have you used to increase mpg?

Stock the my bike was getting 53mpg. Once I put pod filters on I got 65mpg if I always drove economically. 60mpg if I drive normally not too aggressive but not too passive. I weigh 140 lbs.

I get about 47 to the U.S. gal. That's about 56 to the imperial gal. eh!

Unfortumately 140 lb. is a faint long ago memory for me. I am closer to 185 now.

Good god, man, when is that thing going to get on the road? :D

in good time. i just took apart the forks. easiest thing ever. lol. i need seals, dust covers and a piston ring in each. :( then it gets wired and then i have to tune the carbs :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: the worst thing is, i know i set the floats to the ones in the book. and it has to get jetted.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

stock, rebuilt engine (like 10km rebuilt), bad tune on carbs and needles clips set to high.

51 mgp all highway at 55-7k rpm. I weigh 140 with about 30lbs of extra weight that day

Mine is bone stock other than a 37 tooth rear sprocket and a 137.5 main jet. I weigh 172# and the bike has 28500 original miles I get 65-70 mpg

Mine takes about 5.5 liters per 100 km (Yeah I know u guys dont use this kind of measuring but I am too lazy to convert. We dont have any "miles" and "gallons" here.) Go metric!

Haha thanks for the info guys and for those wondering Sandrew is getting 43 MPG.

Chris is 37 teeth bigger than the stock rear sprocket? That's awesome mileage! Do you short shift? Also, how much of your driving is in the city or highway?

I'm assuming these bikes get better mileage off the highways than they do on? The one tank that I got 64 MPG I was driving the speed limit everywhere and not revving it up but short shifting (VERY hard to drive slow lol) at about 4k RPM's max. Also, whenever I was going down a hill or coming up to a long coast I would hit the kill switch and bump started it once I got close to the stop. I read it was a good, but risky, technique for hyper-miling so I tried it out but all that only gave me 5 more MPG on a tank so I gave it up. 90% of my driving is city and country roads. More country roads than city. The tank that I did get 64mpg on I rode on the highway for about 20 miles (all of which were drafting closely behind a semi:bike: )

On a side note: Can anyone pull a wheelie on their bike? If so, how? :-D
Since I got this bike I have been wondering if she has enough balls to lift the front wheel but this is my first motorcycle so I haven't felt comfortable enough to pop the clutch at 6k+ RPM's lol... yet.

Nothing special, but I am pretty particular about maintenance and the state of tune. Also i do most riding off of the highway. ...Oh yeah, I went down 2 teeth to a 37 tooth rear sprocket.

...and let's get this straight- I am not "challenged". I'm the way I'm supposed to be. I present a challenge to the bike.

put on a huge rear sprocket, rev it high and pop the clutch. thatll get the front end up pretty quick :D

or have him as a pillion

fat_biker_183.jpg

Haha please tell me that was photoshopped?

Also, success on wheelie. At idle speed in first I had to rev it up to about 7k then pop the clutch. Naturally, I only did this a few times (20 or so :p) before I took her home and apologized for abusing her. At least now when my transmission fails next spring I'll know the reason. ;-)

Mine is way out of tune right now. Haven't had much time to set everything correctly since I moved (no more garage...:( ) Only getting around 27-30mpg...like my car...:yikes: I'm sure the carbs aren't set quite right, but other than that, not sure what to tune.:shrug:

Back