MPG

I get about 65-70 MPG on my 78 in town. All stock except for some emgo shorty mufflers that don't do much muffling. Has 13,000 miles and I have got the carburetors and timing tuned just right, starts first kick when cold every time!

To get my mileage I use no ethanol unleaded and add in a few goodies to keep the valves from wearing. Plus I only weigh 130 lbs.

So those of us getting 40 MPG, Lets start a diet thread, with the comparison of existing weight vs MPG. I thought it was a thing with Pilot mix screw. but now I think its a weight thing. With me an my wife we brought the MPG down to 36 or so, at over 400 lbs. (manufacture set if for EPA reasons at 1.5 turns.) and its was suppose to be able to 105 MPH. (30 years ago)

NOTE: (Please see posting from 16vgtiDave as far as what to do. He has posted corrections for every time I posted my dream, I have double check my work to make sure its alright)

I have been running efree premium lately.My sprockets havent been changed but the exhaust soon will be.I weigh right at 200lbs.I`ll have to do a milege check and see if I can bump it up better than what Im getting.I`d be happy at getting 55mpg.I think the 45mpg is below what these bikes should be getting.

That could be the key.
I'm just curious if you have the stock sprocket combo on yours or if you or a PO lowered the revs with a different ratio.
It has the stock sprocket setup, nothing out of the ordinary

I usually run around 3000-4000 rpm when cruising in town as well

Whatever you are doing to get 65+ mpg, which is out of the ordinary (are you sure you aren't using British gallons?), it for sure ain't broke.
So, no matter what, don't ever try to fix it!

U.S. gallons :) But I'm currently home in SW Kansas so its all flat, not many hills so that helps quite a bit.

Had anyone noticed that hotter the day, (more miserable the conditions, Hot, Humid 92 degrees) the worse the Rpm to tachometer readings. I have a 17T front sprocket, and normally when I am doing 70 MPH, the tach is usually around 6200 RPM's. Today I thought it was about 6500 RPMs at 70. I thought it was interesting enough. That this probably produces poor-er gas mileage.

Think about this for a moment. You have a clutch, a set of gears, a chain, sprockets, and a tire. Effectively a fixed mechanical connection from the engine to the rear wheel. The relationship between engine RPM and road speed is fixed. Engine RPM "A" x Gear "B" = Speed "C". The only variable would be tire pressures, but you'd have to have a real soft tire to effect the diameter.

Either your clutch is slipping, or your instruments are reading incorrectly. My GPS has shown my speedometer to be inaccurate, reading high, with the error increasing as the road speed increases. My odometer is accurate. I haven't yet bothered to test my tachometer, but I'd bet it is inaccurate as well.

Regardless, as long as the odometer and the gas pumps are accurate, your fuel mileage calculations will be accurate.

... normally when I am doing 70 MPH, the tach is usually around 6200 RPM's. Today I thought it was about 6500 RPMs at 70 ...
While I had the Honda Nighthawk 450, I noticed that it had a large error/differential from my Maxim. The identical trip would yield 2 trip odometer readings 10% apart. I went through one of those portable radar signs with an indicated 50, sign said I was going 56. On the Maxim, the speedo was about right. I attributed this to an over-sized front tire on the Nighthawk, assuming the Maxim has NOT been short-changing me by 10% all along.

Sometimes at indicated 50 mph, the Honda's tach would show 4400, other times 4100 (the Nighthawk had a lovely overdrive 6th).
An older bike guy tried to get me to let him take all the cables off and apart and clean and lube them. He claimed the speedo was connected to the front wheel unit with a coiled up spring thingy up through the cable and that, without special lube, it could wind up or kink up somehow and give a false reading. Needless to say, since it was being sold and it wasn't outright broken, I did not let his "fix" it.
I passed his story on to my friend who could take it or leave it. I did recommend pouring some lubricant down the cables, but wasn't going to allow springy things to be taken apart on a gravel driveway no matter how "handy" the old guy seemed to be.

Anyway, if his story/theory were to be correct, then an improperly lubed speedo cable is capable of giving a variable reading - and it would be easy for a rider to assume the speedo was right and attribute the error to the tach.
Or, I suppose, vice-versa. :shrug:

Yup good point, my fender is off this season, there could be pinch point that though off the signal. I just noticed that it has been the hottest I've driven in. Coincidental my my MPG reported at an all time high of 46 miles to the gallon. So coincidentally it was the most traffic I had to drive though. So it took an hour to make it 40 miles. As a second shift worker, I can usually drive like a bat out of heII. Nice long hills I like power to the top of, going both the ways. Now that I have started college, one day of the week, I get drive at 7am now. For one day of the week.
Seem the big factors for better MPG, weight, slow driving. Hmm. Does any one know of a Irish beer diet?

Yep, I've put on a good 40 lbs with irish beer... and german.... british, scottish, micro brews........ mmmmmmmmmm....

Posted via Mobile

Filled up today and got 53 US mpg. That was about 20 miles riding two up, rest was solo (145 pounds) and running freeway at 75-80 with a few runs to 95-100 mph. I'm sure if I drove a little more sensabily I would get around 60ish. This is with a DOHC with 7500 miles stock everything.

ok guys my mileage still sucks. I run the bike between 4500 and 5500 when crushing down then highway but I just had my float bowls off and seen my mains are 148 so I'm thinking that's why my fuel sucks so bad. I only run high octane to keep the ethanol out of my bike. I posted already about my carb jets so I won't bring it up here.

On my last fill up I yielded only 45 mpg. The only thing that I can think of is that I used 87 octane instead of 93 like I normally use. I think with the 87 I had to use slightly more throttle to maintain my freeway speed of 75 than I normally do with 93.

Back