Must have been asked before..

mhn7556

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

after reading the forum you get the impression that everything must have been discussed before, so it makes you feel not very comfortable, so here it comes.

My right cylinder (1983 heritage) does not want to fire up.
The engine runs, but only with the left cylinder, and it shuts down as soon as I twith the throttle.
I have cleaned the carbs (more than once), checked for leaks in the diafragm, checked the coils (both 13 Okm), changed the plugs .... but nothing. Looked at the timing and found a timer I do not recognise, see attachment. Can anybody enlighten me how that one works and if it needs adjustments?
And with what I have done thus far, what is your tip to look at, to get the bugger running again?

Maarten

Attachments

• Timing xs400.jpg
    Timing xs400.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 249
From the photo it looks like your timing is slightly out. If you look at the bottom left of the pickup coil plate there are two little notches and a matching notch on the head; make sure one or the other is lined up. You can adjust them by loosening the two screws on the bottom left and top right of the pickup unit. To be honest I've not done much with fine-tuning my timing, I just lined up the inner notch with the one on the head and called it good and my bike runs fine, but yours may be set up slightly differently. I'm sure others can provide more useful advice.

The coils should not be 13ohm. The manual has testing and specs for the coils. You should also test without the caps on the wires and don't use resistor plugs with resistor caps. Make sure the wires are good on each ends. There is also a test for the pickup in the manual. The pickup for the tci is set by turning the flywheel to LF and lining the part of the rotor on the pickup with the dot on it with the top poll. My guess I could be your carbs. Are the plugs wet?

Attachments

• DSC02700.jpg
    DSC02700.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC02701.jpg
    DSC02701.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC02702.jpg
    DSC02702.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 225
Thanks for your tips. Wednesday evening is "wrench-time" and I will dive into it again.
Oh, and both plugs are not wet but the colour is different (of course). I will make some pictures.

Maarten

Back