My 1977 xs360 Build, may take a while, but its a start..

Norman1950

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing up my GS 1000 Cafe bike and this one is next in line. I am just a hobbyist "bike builder". I have always like to fiddle and tinker with things and motorcycles have become my passion and enjoyment. I started off with a 1990 Katana and had a family friend help me paint it (which that started it all off). I have owned a few crotch rockets and a few cruising bikes. Still kick myself for selling off the Yamaha warrior, but it was in awesome shape and nothing for me to tinker with (that i could afford).

Anyways back to the xs360. I originally bought the basket case for the wheels and really liked the looks of a "complete" bike on the internet. So decided to source a frame out locally. So now have 2 motors and several parts to pick from. I have always like the looks of a clean cafe bike. The frame and motor I picked up has drum wheels front and back. But have forks for a disc front also.

So onto to the pictures....

Here is the "basket case" picture... which started this whole project...

And here is the "complete" bike I picked up... with the "basket case" tank and side cover on...

Here are some inspiration pictures that I have found and wanting to replicate some parts...

Next I was able to get some correct xs360 carbs from TheRev (thank you very much). Weren't in the best of shape, but they were complete minus the choke lever. So I went ahead and tore into them to clean them up. Went out and bought a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and already had some Berryman's carb dip.

Cleaning one at a time. Soaked the first one in the dip and cleaned it off with carb clean and then into the ultrasonic cleaner. First I tried the white vinegar mix and then I tried Mean Green degreaser. Had pretty good luck with the mean green. Here are some pictures of the before and after and during...

After 24 hours in the dip and a few times through the ultrasonic cleaner it looked like this. Bought some nice stainless steel button head bolts to help clean up the look of it...

And after some caliper paint and an oven curing cycle here is how it turned out. I am going to try to powder coat the top and bottom a black chrome...

Wow, looks awesome! Ultrasonic cleaners are great but seem to be a bit finicky. What are some other bikes you've done?

Thanks and yes I have been finding that out with the ultrasonic.

On the bikes part, I have done a 1999 ZX9, converted it to the "newer" style headlight and gauges, put a 600rr undertail exhaust on it and painted it a copperhead orange. Did a 2004 Suzuki TLR with a custom "marble" paint job on the top of the tank, polished frame and lip of wheels and few other things. Shortly after finishing it got stolen, and didn't have insurance on it at the time. That SUCKED! Also a Honda 2000 RC51, had the frame and wheels powder coated black and painted the bike black with light blue paint stripe with twin Yoshi pipes, also put the SP2 swing arm on it. That bike was a blast! Had to get rid of it before I got into too much trouble.

Also "tried" stunt riding, and found out it was not for me or my body...

I don't have pictures of the other ones handy but here is the RC51, Warrior and the current GS1000 project.

IMG_0328 by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

Warrior (1 of 1).jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

stunt me 04 by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

I really have been kicking around the idea of putting inverted forks on the bike but keeping the stock drum wheels. I have a friend that can weld aluminium for the drum brake to stay "attached" to the lower fork leg. After that thinking all I would need is either different bearings or a front axle made with reducer bushing at the fork end.

I know it is an oxymoron, but looking for something a little subtle and different. Any thoughts?

Thanks and yes I have been finding that out with the ultrasonic.

On the bikes part, I have done a 1999 ZX9, converted it to the "newer" style headlight and gauges, put a 600rr undertail exhaust on it and painted it a copperhead orange. Did a 2004 Suzuki TLR with a custom "marble" paint job on the top of the tank, polished frame and lip of wheels and few other things. Shortly after finishing it got stolen, and didn't have insurance on it at the time. That SUCKED! Also a Honda 2000 RC51, had the frame and wheels powder coated black and painted the bike black with light blue paint stripe with twin Yoshi pipes, also put the SP2 swing arm on it. That bike was a blast! Had to get rid of it before I got into too much trouble.

Also "tried" stunt riding, and found out it was not for me or my body...

I don't have pictures of the other ones handy but here is the RC51, Warrior and the current GS1000 project.

IMG_0328 by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

Warrior (1 of 1).jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

stunt me 04 by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

I can't see any pics. Also you say warrior. Is that a Roadstar warrior?

I think you should go for the inverter forks. I didn't know you could just invert them though? I mean I know that you have to work out some axle business but it would be awesome. I don't think the stanchions are aluminum though... or are they?

I can't see any pics. Also you say warrior. Is that a Roadstar warrior?

Yep it was a 2007 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior 1700.

I think you should go for the inverter forks. I didn't know you could just invert them though? I mean I know that you have to work out some axle business but it would be awesome. I don't think the stanchions are aluminum though... or are they?

I would be getting something like the newer style GSXR forks and use them. I am not sure about the lower part, but pretty sure it is just cast aluminum.

Hey Norman, you really do some nice work. The XS360 is an ambitious project but it's obvious from the carb transition photos and your other bikes that it will be like-new in no time.

The carb turned out amazing. I haven't heard of caliper paint before. It really gives an impressive looking finish, just like polished aluminum. I look forward to seeing more.

Were you on Rswarrior. com? A warrior is my other bike.

Yes I was on there for a bit. Never really did hang out on that forum too much. But the internet has brought all of us enthusiasts closer together.

Hey Norman, you really do some nice work. The XS360 is an ambitious project but it's obvious from the carb transition photos and your other bikes that it will be like-new in no time.

The carb turned out amazing. I haven't heard of caliper paint before. It really gives an impressive looking finish, just like polished aluminum. I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you very much for those kind words. I am hoping it will be a "fairly" straight forward build, but really need to get a compression tester on the cylinders and see what I am dealing with.

I read somewhere on using that caliper paint due to its resistance to chemicals aka brake fluid. Since gas is almost as bad as brake fluid figured I would give it a try. But the paint does have to be baked on. I did 2 rounds of baking, one at 200° and let it cool a bit and then another bake at 250° both for about 10 minutes. Craigslist toaster ovens work great for these small things.

I was able to get to the shop to finish up the carbs last night. Think they look good. The black was labeled on the bottle as black chrome on the powder coat bottle. It turned out more flat black, but still like the looks.

Here are 2 before...

And after...

Wow! What do you charge? I'll ship you my carbs this afternoon!

They look great.

Lol I wouldn't even know what to charge. The ss bolts were $30 locally. Thanks.

Nice! Now my after pic are going to look cruddy!:thumbsup:

Saw your carbs and they look great! !

Looks amazing! Nice detail work on those carbs. I'm gonna check on getting one of those Harbor taint ultrasonic cleaners too!

Thank you. The ultra sonic cleaner is ok just don't expect a miracle also use a nylon brush to get the gunk off. Plus there are tons of different "potions" out there.

Lol I wouldn't even know what to charge. The ss bolts were $30 locally. Thanks.

Saw your carbs and they look great! !

Thank you. The ultra sonic cleaner is ok just don't expect a miracle also use a nylon brush to get the gunk off. Plus there are tons of different "potions" out there.

Thanks!

I used distilled white vinegar, a little dish soap and warm water in mine.

Well I have talked myself into the newer gsxr (2006-07 600) inverted forks. Found some locally for an ok price. But doesn't come with axle or triple trees. Going against what logic says and wanting to figure out a way to make them work with my stock front drum brake. I know I am going to get a lot of criticism for this one. But sometimes I just like to go against the normal. I will more then likely pick up the forks this weekend, even though I should be putting the money into my almost finished bike, but eh.

A big hurdle I will have to figure out is making an axle. As the stock wheel is a 15mm axle and the gsxr is a 25mm. The outer bearing size on the stock wheel is 35mm and the gsxr is 52mm. So it doesn't look like I can find a bearing size 25x35x11. Plus need to check out the backing plate of the drum to help figure things out.

But I guess as they say, let the fun and frustration begin... lol

Back