My 1977 xs360 Build, may take a while, but its a start..

Got the cylinders all cleaned up. Still need to soak them in some hot soapy water, but looking good so far. Also got some of the carbon build up off the valves.

Well I went ahead and just ordered the .25 pistons off of ebay. Both come with the piston and rings. I will have a local guy here bore/hone the cylinders out for about $75 a cylinder.

Small update, got the pistons and rings in the mail over the week and while I was in Cali I found a Clymer manual at a Car show swap meet.

thanks Chris I need to order one more set. I should be good on using my used/stock wrist pins correct? Obviously if the measure out correctly.

Last edited:
If it was me I would replace them to. They don't cost much and you can still get them from yamaha.

Got my cylinders and pistons/rings dropped off at the machine shop and should be done by then end of the week or early next week. Also the new wrist pin and circlips came in.

Got the engine out of the frame. Boy it is quite dirty behind the chain guard/cover. One of the easiest engines I have pulled out. Light enough to lift up and out on my own with out the head and cylinders on.

Small update. Got the cylinders back from the machine shop. Great turn around time and kept to their quote. Got the cylinders painted and the valve cover. Need to strip the head down and paint it also.

And here is the whole top end painted. Got the piston rings and pistons in the cylinder and got the all the valves figured out in the head. Now just need to lap the valves in and complete cleaning and painting the bottom end.

I checked back through the thread but might have missed it. You thought standard rings would fit. Were you unable to find them or did you go up one size to be sure.

My 360's compression is low. Haven't taken the pistons out yet. Was hoping standard rings might do it but I don't think there are any standard sets left to buy. :(

I checked back through the thread but might have missed it. You thought standard rings would fit. Were you unable to find them or did you go up one size to be sure.

My 360's compression is low. Haven't taken the pistons out yet. Was hoping standard rings might do it but I don't think there are any standard sets left to buy. :(

I was not able to find standard rings anywhere. I went ahead and got the .25 over pistons and rings and had the cylinders machined to fit. I think it is pretty much impossible to find standard rings.

Got the Top End of the motor all together last night. Now time to take the side cases off and put some paint on them and install with new gaskets.

But now with allanrps's PMA upgrade, might have to look at doing something similar...

Here are some pictures of it together and painted minus the points cover and side cases.

Well got the motor pretty much all painted... (forgot out the oil filter cover). Also took apart the clutch pack and measured all the friction plates, and to my surprise they all measured at least 3.0 mm and all steels where flat. Got the side cover painted and new gasket install.

I have been really throwing around dong the allanrps PMA Mod. Just got my stator and flywheel in the mail today and getting ready to go to the shop to do some testing. I scanned in the new gasket and did some measurements and came up with this plate for the stator bracket. I have a friend that has a plasma table at his work and will be able to cut this out. I have the .dxf file if someone is interested in it. But I have yet to test it out yet, as it is the first version I came up with. I am hoping to get it cut within the next couple of weeks (the waiting on friend to get free work done factor).

The white is cut out for oil flow and looks. Once again I want to give lots of credit to Allanrps for this idea. Hope he doesn't mind me running with it.

And here is another one of the engine painted with cases on.

I got a chance to check the paper "bracket" last night and had to make some minor changes. Here is the new style. Had to make a cut out for the bolt and bracket holding in the starter plug.

Got some more things done to the bike. Now onto waiting on my friend for some crap to get done...

Got the frame completely painted...

Got the engine mounted in the frame... pretty easy. Glad this engine is light.

Temporarily Mount the carbs up to the motor as I am not sure if I should go ahead and paint them the engine color or leave as is... suggestions??

And just put the tank on for fun. Thinking I am not going to pain the tank or matching side panels. Just need to derust the tank and probably seal it.

And got the front brake hub powder coated last night. Just wanted to see what the mirror black looked like...

Back