My 2 steps forward 1 step back bike build

Today is 3 years since I brought it home :thumbsup: IMG_20150706_152343.jpg IMG_20150706_152434.jpg

I trimmed 2 down and used the cut off section of fender to attach to the seat as a rear fender. I pulled up the rear seat cover, traced the arc,cut it, and reinstalled the cover and fastened the fender with 4 screws to the seat pan. I also have the ignition box mounted to the seat base on both of my 80G's. Handy,easy access.

So I'm gonna try my hand at doing the tank.. If I want to dremel off these tabs is there enough meat behind them? Is there a better way of doing it? I haven't really found any info on people doing the badge delete except saying they did it.

Attachments

• 20180710_000015.jpg
    20180710_000015.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 293
So I'm gonna try my hand at doing the tank.. If I want to dremel off these tabs is there enough meat behind them? Is there a better way of doing it? I haven't really found any info on people doing the badge delete except saying they did it.
I am currently working on two different tanks. One of them has had the mounting tabs removed. That is the hardest spot to get level on the whole tank for me. I see the other dent also, remember that besides being an indentation a dent also makes a high spot around the outside. Think of it as a ripple of water after you throw a stone in. Just make sure that gets tapped down when you are filling and sanding. That tip comes from online video . Take your time and you should have a decent product when you're done. A tip for you to remember is that if you are going to fill a hole or dent do it in layers, don't just fill the whole thing in one pass. If you do it most certainly will crack. Go slowly and don't expect it to be perfect the first time. Use light coats of primer over the areas you have worked, that will show your imperfections before you put paint on the tank. Good luck

I am currently working on two different tanks. One of them has had the mounting tabs removed. That is the hardest spot to get level on the whole tank for me. I see the other dent also, remember that besides being an indentation a dent also makes a high spot around the outside. Think of it as a ripple of water after you throw a stone in. Just make sure that gets tapped down when you are filling and sanding. That tip comes from online video . Take your time and you should have a decent product when you're done. A tip for you to remember is that if you are going to fill a hole or dent do it in layers, don't just fill the whole thing in one pass. If you do it most certainly will crack. Go slowly and don't expect it to be perfect the first time. Use light coats of primer over the areas you have worked, that will show your imperfections before you put paint on the tank. Good luck

I hadn't thought about the high spot around the dents, now that you mentioned it, I can feel it raised running my hand over, good to know! Did you use a dremel to remove the tab that's welded on there?

I hadn't thought about the high spot around the dents, now that you mentioned it, I can feel it raised running my hand over, good to know! Did you use a dremel to remove the tab that's welded on there?
No the previous guy just knocked inward and filled around and over, probably so he could lay his filler on thinner. It looked good but I Didn't care for his flame job and changed it up which exposed his prior work when the stripper hit it. I had to re do it.

Still have to finish the bondo on the tank, first time working with it i learned a valuable lesson DONT APPLY IT WHEN YOU'RE A 6PACK IN LOL I guess I thought i'd put another layer before going to bed, woke up to a nightmare. About to learn myself how to make a fiberglass seat pan too! How it sits now
20180714_213814.jpg The more I look at the fender the more I like it on there

Still have to finish the bondo on the tank, first time working with it i learned a valuable lesson DONT APPLY IT WHEN YOU'RE A 6PACK IN LOL I guess I thought i'd put another layer before going to bed, woke up to a nightmare. About to learn myself how to make a fiberglass seat pan too! How it sits now
View attachment 32029 The more I look at the fender the more I like it on there
You will appreciate that front fender the first rainy day or mud puddle you encounter!!

View attachment 32029 The more I look at the fender the more I like it on there
Remove of excess Bondo is best achieved by a grater type file, I actual have taken off some of the mountains that form when you the working time limits down with a regular flat file. Be cautious and follow the lines of the panel....when it comes to body work stuff, slow and steady works best and if you want to be sure you have it right, just mist a thin primer coat over the area. You will find out, more often than not, that there is more sanding to do.

I do lots of work a 6 pack in ;) I also learned to add a little more bondo that is needed and use the DA with 80 grit to knock it down then use the pad and hand sand up through the numbers......I hate body work and sanding but its been sort of fun.....

Looks like a fun little project.

Made my seat, turned out ok considering I had no idea what I was doing. Tank is almost ready for the rattle cans:thumbsup:
20180726_084211.jpg

Attachments

• 20180726_084309.jpg
    20180726_084309.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 293
What are the chances when I took apart my gas cap and put all the pieces in a zip lock bag for safe keeping, that after I get a new seal the piece it goes on is missing? I'll give you a hint, it's 100%, there's a 100% probability I'll never see it again lol. So, anyone have one laying around?? What if i got a solid washer and drilled the screw holes and a vent hole would that work out?

Last edited:
Is this what your looking for?

Attachments

• DSC03341.JPG
    DSC03341.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC03342.JPG
    DSC03342.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 229
Back