MY BIKE!!

Noodles

Noodles racing
Reaction score

I hope this pic posts! I think it is actually an XS400SH 1980-81 guy I picked it up from said it was an 82, but the copyright on the owners manual says 1980 and the steering neck sticker says 8/80 so I'm guessing it is prob. An 80-81 anyone know for sure by the pics? I will post more if this one works....

WOW PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS TO USE ON A CELL PHONE!!!
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? 80-81??
I was surprised at how small the bike was, I mean I knew it was small but this thing is dinky! It will make a nice ratbrat to tool around town on though! Lot of work ahead of me for sure!
ANY THOUGHTS GUYS?!?!??o_O

20170419_212305.jpg

Only 1,800mi. On the engine! But who knows if it was properly broken in and maintained...

Nice find.
It'll be an 81 by the date. Definitely not an '82 by paint job.
The first three digits of the VIN are the usual way of getting exact model.

Nice find.
It'll be an 81 by the date. Definitely not an '82 by paint job.
The first three digits of the VIN are the usual way of getting exact model.
Thanks bbs360, I know they made some changes between 81 and 82. Just off hand does anyone know what significant changes they made? Carbs., Ignition, internals, etc.

Depends on how you look at it.
Nothing major from the 81 to 82 years of single-overhead cam bikes. Biggest being the front brake switched from disk to drum for the '82 model year.
Pretty easy to spot the 82s. Fenders were painted black, forks painted black, engine painted black, headlight bucket black, headlight mounts black, carbs painted black.
Everything works the same though. Almost every part is compatible between the 80-82 model years.

Just be careful of anything listed for '82 bikes only as it may be for the double-overhead cam XS400 that was introduced that year, and is 99.9% incompatible with your bike.
In that sense from the 81 SOHC to 82 DOHC XS400, everything changed.

81 SH I have one myself. If your going to cut up the bike that's up to you but it looks like a good start for a restoration and with very little miles. Sell of any parts off the bike and don't cut the mufflers if they are in good shape. Get some crap ones for that.

20170421_183139.jpg

Got a good look at it, don't want to start for some reason? Just cranks...I noticed under the seat it says regular fuel (LEADED)...this thing doesn't take leaded gas does it????

leaded/unleaded doesnt matter. It basically means that you should use a higher octane gas instead of regular 87 nowadays. You wont find leaded gas anywhere but the airport also.

No start issue. Id probably start by examining the plugs and pouring some gas in the cylinders. This will pretty much rule out and electrical issue. It seems that its always a carb/fueling issue, especially if you dont have an inline filter.

Yeah, I got it running pretty good. The gas in the tank was junk so I went and got some new gas. Put new plugs in too. The battery is toast also. The dude I got it from said it was a new batt. But it sat all winter and it's no good any more. But I did get it running pretty good for a while. Gotta get a new batt. Any one know what a good new type of sealed batt. I could get? I want to get the smallest thing possible and be able to mount it in any direction (like laying on its side) if I gotta drop $$ on a batt. I might as well get the one I am gonna need for when the time comes to modify.

Sucks I gotta get a batt. That was one thing I hoped I could skip for now and put the $$ elsewhere, but you know how it is!

If your keeping the e-start make sure to get an oem one or one that can handle it.

I am looking for a good carb rebuild kit online. I found these on ebay, can anyone tell me if this is correct for the carbs. On an 81'
I just don't trust ebay all that much!
Screenshot_2017-04-23-09-05-37.png

Had to track down the listing. It's a keyster kit. Decent enough quality.
Pilot jet isn't the same size as stock. Slide needle might not be exactly the same.
Still not a bad price for everything else.

You know, after today I worked on it for a while and it seems to be running pretty damb good for a 36yr old bike! The batt. Is junk so it's tough to start when it's cold but once it's warmed up it idles fine, runs good, doesn't backfire or anything, starts right up first good kick when warm! So I'm thinking as far as engine and carbs. Go I'm just gonna leave them alone for now. Have to put my $$ elsewhere first anyway. One thing though is neutral is tough to find..from first it jumps over it into second and them you gotta ease it back down into neutral from second. Just seems a little twichy. Needs the cobwebs blown out I think!

Just for the ha-ha's I tried to get this puppy off today just to see what's behind it. I figured it was th one screw and the other side was just a post it slid over, we'll after much fiddling prying and wd-40 I decided to actually research it and found out its actually a tamper plug that you have to drill out of there with the screw hidden behind it!! Glad I didn't pry at it too hard before I actually did a little more reserch, I had a pretty duh day today!!
20170423_174355.jpg

And I took the cover off the sprocket side and cleaned all the old leaves and acorns outta there, and readjusted the clutch thingy.
20170423_135136.jpg

What is that one wire that goes to the plastic thingy with the 3 screws in it? Starter lead?
MAN I GOTTA PRINT OUT THE SHOP MANUALS AND READ EM! NEED A COMPUTATER!:shootme::banghead:

The plastic thingy is the neutral switch.
The yellow wire goes to the oil pressure sensor.

Wish I had the ability to look over the manuals. Don't have a computer or Internet at my house...doing all this by wal-mart smartphone!!! Makes me look like a dumbass!

You can view everything you need as far as the manuals go, but I think everyones first tool when they get a bike this old is to actually get a hard copy of a manual. Ive saved so much time having all the info I need right in front of me in a booklet. You dont have to hassle with computers or little phone screens.

Having the manual is the way to go.. The one I have is from Haynes... Heres another Ebay link for you! https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=262666299145&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

Back