My Bratstyle build

Requiem

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,
thought it was about time for me to share some pics of the progress on my xs400 build :) but first a small introduction I still owe you guys: I'm 22 years old, have no background in mechanics or w/e, have had some experience fixing up mopeds/scooters but not a lot! Wanted to try something new, and got the idea of 'building' my own nice bike :)

It all started with an '80 4G5, so the SE version. Everything (well nearly everything) was in working condition, but the bike looked horrible:
zijkantrechts.jpg

yes, the bike was pink :laugh:

Couple of hours later the bike looked like this:
dsc00329j.jpg

Still a long way to go! And I kind of hate the shape of the standard frame if you're not going for a tracker/cafe-build... So that was gonna require some work!

First off though: Sporty tank, and some nice handlebars.
Also bought a set of rd250 wheels, hoping I'd be able to make them fit, but sadly it proved to be above my capabilities... You'll see them come by on several other pics, but they won't be used.
dsc00361ll.jpg

dsc00364et.jpg

Tried to fit a cheap seat, but hated the look it created :(
Also mounted a somewhat smaller headlight from the horn bracket :)
dsc00390k.jpg

Still doesn't look right! So... Time to modify the frame!
img071ry.jpg

img070a.jpg

img072e.jpg

As you can see I've got some podfilters, and I also have small straight exhausts(not included in the pic)
Don't mind all of the wiring you see dangling down, that'll be fixed in the end :)

I've repainted my mag wheels black, will get some new tires on there somewhere this week

I've got the rear fender I want to use already lying there in the background of one of the pics, I'll fasten that to the swingarm, and will possibly mount a sparto light

The seat I'll have to fabricate myself, but I've already got some nice ideas on how to make the base for one... It was a good tip I got: a +-1cm thick cutting board! It's light, strong, and you can easily hack/saw/cut parts out and heat it up and bend it into shape

I also plan on getting some heatwrap for the headers, I know it's a cliché but I like it :laugh:

Let me know what you guys think :)

Hey Requiem, looking good mate, the rear loop gives a proper Bratty look to your build. Any thoughts to cleaning up the neck area where the sporty tank exposes the pressed steel gussetting?

The major reason I bought a XS400 (I was really after an SR500) was a black Bratstyle build from a guy here in the Netherlands. Still one of the best XS400 I've ever seen...

Hey Requiem, looking good mate, the rear loop gives a proper Bratty look to your build. Any thoughts to cleaning up the neck area where the sporty tank exposes the pressed steel gussetting?

The major reason I bought a XS400 (I was really after an SR500) was a black Bratstyle build from a guy here in the Netherlands. Still one of the best XS400 I've ever seen...

I'm familiar with the guys build, was also somewhat the reason I wanted to do a brat! He's made 2 btw, he's also got a nice one with a coffin tank

About the neck area: I'm probably gonna let my grinder loose, and then put in two new and cleaner gussets (if thats what you call the bits between the tubes, containing the stock tank rubber mounting brackets)

Man, I like where this one is heading! The new frame mod definitely screams brat to me. This is where I was wanting to take the KZ400, after the XS is finished of course....whenever that may be! lol Good job man!

Cool, I'm definately looking forward to seeing more progress with this. Getting a Bratstyle bike to look right is more than chopping the back off and throwing on some shorter shocks and the stance on yours is looking spot on :thumbsup:

Thanks CadXS & hardtailed77 :) always good to know if people like your work!

Probably somewhere this week I'll have the new tires on the stock wheels, will post a new pic by that time :)

What I forgot to mention: The plan is to keep the starter, so I'm gonna need to find a nice spot for the battery, which will prove to be a challenge...
The rest of the wiring etc will disappear into a fake oil tank under the seat, which still needs to be made

On the less visible side of the build: i've been toying around with the bike, trying to get it to run... seems to run allright with 140 main jets, and the gasneedle set 1 step higher. Whats weird though: if the bike is allowed to run on idle, and reaches 2k rpm, the engine starts to climb in rpm rapidly, as if you were twisting the throttle, till around 5-6k... Dunno what that's all about!? :confused:

I'm really excited to see where this build goes. Do you still have your stock seat it was in really good shape and I might be looking for one for I bike that I might be getting soon

Yeah I've still got the seat, might not be worth it though for you to have shipped over to the US... Its in decent condition, but the shipping costs would be huge!

cool looking bike, love the rear part of the frame !

i agree with cad, that gusset area needs to get cleaned up a bit, tank matches the lines really well tho, nice job :thumbsup:

It is on the to-do list :) hadn't really considered it, but i'm sure it'd have bothered me before the bike was done!
New tires are probably coming in tomorrow, so i might have a pic with those on for ya tomorrow :) including the sitting position hopefully

More pics you say? Very well then!

img073v.jpg

img074r.jpg

img0762fw.jpg

Now don't I look friendly?

the rims are painted semi gloss black, the tires are a new set of Metzeler perfects (normal 120x90x16 and 90x90x18 sizes)

Well done man...the seat rails were lowered with style...and the whole look of the bike still looks simetrical

Back