My build progress so far......

Hey guys......a brake question!!!!....

I have a drum brake rear wheel from an SR250 fitted to my chop.
Rather than have a long brake stay tie bar for the drum,I have rotated it slightly so I can run a 1/2" bolt through the frame gusset and into the retaining hole on the brake plate,therfore stopping the brake from rotating when the wheel is in motion(in theory)..

My question is:do you think this will be adequate/strong enough/safe enough to stop the brake plate from rotating with the wheel,or should I bite the bullet and fit a more traditional brake stay bar???

I can post some better pics if required??

Attachments

• IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 328
I would expect that bolt to bend and twist into a pretzel the first time you stomp the rear brake. Which will cause the wheel to lock. It's good that you are asking now, rather than after the accident. :thumbsup:

Well if you use a grade 8 bolt, the shear strength would be able to hold up for braking (shear is 'around' 60% of a bolts tensile strength). But you would want to fill up the void all the way between the bolt, and have full tension on it.

^+1 Yup, very necessary to have a spacer of thick stock and precise length to take the twist out of the equation. But also make certain everything is square and centered so that when you're doing final tightening nothing gets pulled weird.

All those thousands spent on college comes in handy sometimes.

That carriage bolt that's in there right now definitely won't hold up by the way.

Thanks for your input fella's.....i'm glad I asked!!!!;)

The carriage bolt was just for mock-up BTW....even I'm not that crazy!!:yikes:

I think I may fab a brake stay bar,see if I can come up with something cool AND functional.

The bolt idea was just to try and keep the rear end as simple and clean as possible.

Will keep you updated.....

Thanks again,Dodger..:thumbsup:

Well..........
Been away for a good while now!!!!....busy busy busy:)
Not had much time for the bike:mad:
Thought I would posy a couple of pics of bits I have managed to get done
I have re-made the license plate and rear light AGAIN lol:doh:
And I have made some foot controls,just need to weld them up to the frame:thumbsup:
Will try to get more done asap and post up on here....:D

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_7039.jpg
    IMG_7039.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_7041.jpg
    IMG_7041.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_7042.jpg