1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

My Cafe Racer Build (and Re-Build)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wolfe_11B, May 16, 2014.

1. 350GUY

350GUY XS400 Member

I know that this is an old thread. None the less, would anyone happen to know what is the black insert with the brass contacts that has been inserted into the original white plastic neutral switch? Picture number one & two. Thanks guys

2. Wolfe_11B

Wolfe_11B XS400 Guru Top Contributor

It's a gear position sensor that feeds into a gear position indicator. Not a plug and play job, the shift drum had to be modified to move the original position of the neutral pin. But once everything is lined up and in place, it works well. On my recent builds I have moved on to non-contact hall effect sensors. A bit less janky rigging needed, but more complex in getting an indicator to read it.

3. 350GUY

350GUY XS400 Member

Greetings Wolfe, many thanks. If I may ask, of what bike is the sensor? I have two spare neutral switches and tooling wise I am pretty well equiped so certainly want to go this route. Since its a 6-speed sensor (with 7 contact pins) this would be a perfect match. Many thanks once again, much appreciated.

4. Wolfe_11B

Wolfe_11B XS400 Guru Top Contributor

It was just a random one bought off of Ali Express, didn't have a specific application or motorcycle applied to it. I think it's a pretty universal sensor size for cheap Asian scooters and motorcycles.

5. 350GUY

350GUY XS400 Member

Thank you Wolfe