My Cafe Racer Build (and Re-Build)

Just got back from Serbia, so time to get this done. Already missed a few good rides in the area, and the Cleveland Mods vs. Rockers meet is in a few weeks. Need to work fast!

The seat is from Nate at http://caferacerseatandtank.com aka Twinline Motorcycles. He has some premade sizes but will do some custom measurements for you if he has the time. Great prices too.

Watched my boss tackle to sprockets today. I was thinking he was going to run them on one of the CNC machines, but to my surprise all he does is mount them on the lathe, and clamp a grinder on, and in 1 minute I had 520 sprockets. So simple.

Last edited:
Took my cam to the shop that said they would do the work on it today. They ended up trying to add a few hundred on what they originally quoted me, so it ends up being cheaper to send it to megacycle. Which still isn't cheap. But I want it done so off it goes. Just for everyone's reference, megacycle wants $348 now for the grind they list in the catalog. Am I crazy paying that much? Yes. But if I don't get it done I'll kick myself everyday I ride.

I will for sure be getting this on a dyno when it's finished, I don't think I've ever seen a dyno result from an xs400!

A stock xs360 made 27hp . Stock xs400 made around 36-38hp with 23lb of torque. You should have run the bike on the dyno before and after the engine work done.

Last edited:
I'm excited to try out the PWKs. They worked great on my 2 stroke applications. Flatcarbs have so much more throttle response than the stock carbs.

I'll have an update soon, got a lot done recently but haven't had time to take pics. And the money is all dried up so it's going to take a while longer to get this done.

So an update. Head is out for decking and 3 angle valve job. All rotating transmission parts, shift forks, oil pump gears, and some more is out for REM polishing. Cam has finally gone out to Megacycle.

Still need to get the fork tubes anodized, and frame needs painted.

Slowly getting there.

Well got the quote for the REM polishing, they want $300 so I told them just to send it all back. Even though the benifits of the REM polishing is nice, that's just not worth it for me.

Well an update. Work has been a pain on the ass lately, they keep on firing people but don't hire replacements, which in turn overloads the rest of us with more jobs. So time to work on the bike has been sparse. Not to mention my garage is freezing cold, I'd rather stay warm inside than work on anything to be honest. But I'm kicking myself in gear, as I want something to ride this summer!

So I've resent my trans parts to get the REM treatment. Even though the price is stupid, I've already put so much into this pig, so what's a little more. If I don't get it done it will piss me off every time I look at it.

I'm waiting on some desmut, dye, and sealant so I can get my RS125 fork uppers anodized. Going gold, should look nice if I can get them clean enough. Might toss some other aluminum parts in there, as once I get the anodizing line set up, the life of the baths starts ticking away. No point in wasting everything. If anyone needs anything anodized, let me know soon!

I grabbed a set of Avon tires, AM22 front and AM23 rear. This put me in a situation to try and source an 18" drum mag rear. Well I got ripped off from a few sellers overseas, and am out around $300. So my choice was either stick with the 16" mag drum rear and toss the Avon tires, keep looking for an 18" mag drum rear, switch to an 18" rear disc mag setup, or switch to spoke front and rear. I decided on the spokes. Just bought a pretty rusty XS360 set on ebay, $100 for the pair shipped :) I'm going to buy some 2.5 width rims to nicely compliment the tires, and put on new spokes as well.
_57_zps503c8511.jpg

_571_zps6f749c18.jpg

Next order of business is to get the bike somewhat mocked up so i can finish welding and fabricating a few things. Then its on to painting and reassembling the motor. Pics will come soon.....whenever it gets above 30 degrees in my garage.

Back