My Cafe Racer Build (and Re-Build)

Replying to subscribe. Looks like a great project. Hope the performance tuning works out well.

Replying to subscribe. Looks like a great project. Hope the performance tuning works out well.

Hopefully I can please everybody. I just got word today of my new jobs start date, which means I'll have a TON more time to work on the bike. Nothing better than less work, and 3 times the pay! Only downside is a 3 week trip to Atlanta, but shouldn't slow me much.

Called up Airtech today, proud new owner of a full fairing. They literally are hand laying it, gave me a 4 week lead time. From my calculations, it should work out ok fitment wise, will have to get fancy with the exhaust.
CAM1_assy.JPG

My XS360 rims came in today. Goal is to have the hubs off so I can blast them at work tomorrow, will get pics then. Need to take advantage of the media blaster while I'm still employed there.

We will need to start a new thread for the most expensive build:laugh: You may just have that title all locked up:bike:

What is the advantage of smaller 37 tooth rear sprocket (i think stock is 39 tooth)
and bigger 17 tooth front sprocket (stock is 16 tooth)

Should it deliver higher speeds in gears? i will be changing my sprockets so thats why I am asking..

What is the advantage of smaller 37 tooth rear sprocket (i think stock is 39 tooth)

Should it deliver higher speeds in gears? i will be changing my sprockets so thats why I am asking..

Stock for my 81 was 16/37, so I'm only going up one tooth on the counter shaft.

Lower rpm's on the motor. If you have 18" rear wheel I would go with 16/37 or 17/39. If you have a 16" rear wheel 17/37 will get you the same rpm's.

IMG_20150227_234152868_zpstodtlxdl.jpg

IMG_20150227_233538811_zpszds0mkh1.jpg

Got my rims in. For Chinese cheapos, they aren't that bad. Will have to redrill the angle for the front spoke holes to be able to use it with the disk hub, but otherwise everything's all good. Brought the Avons inside from the garage, I'm afraid the -2 F temps will crack them. My house smells like a tire shop, which I'm not too mad about.

IMG_20150228_004547_zpsbdkc5jwy.jpg

Also got a one-way valve for the crankcase vent. If you blow into it just right, it mimics a duck fairly accurately. Makes the cat and dog go crazy.

IMG_20150228_013118_zpsjca125vq.jpg

Even though I modified the 530 sprockets to fit 520 chain, I just wasn't convinced that the counter-shaft sprocket would hold up for a long time after grinding through the hardening. So I grabbed a legit set of 520 sprockets.

IMG_20150228_013827_zpsljfnbygm.jpg

Awesome jig for drilling safety wire holes.

IMG_20150228_013851_zpspkm6zyjb.jpg

These are proper Keihin PWK slides for my carbs. I may have mentioned it earlier but I'll talk about it again. The knock-off PWK carbs you get from ebay, MikesXS, etc, are complete and utter crap. As far as the outer casting goes, it's not so bad and matches up to the real PWK's (probably because they bought the casting molds from Keihin). But all the internal parts are pretty much junk. These actual slides are hard chromed. The ones in the copys are very rough finished, and have what looks to be a sprayed or brushed on chrome finish(paint), that you can scrape off with a finger nail.

So word to the wise, buy real carbs, since after you replace the parts in the copys to make them work right, the cost ends up being the same as the real carbs :/

IMG_20150228_014051_zpssztdridk.jpg

New wideband system. You may be thinking, "WTF? This guy already bought a wideband, I've seen it in the other pictures!". And you would be correct. I have since sold the other wideband(actually made money on the sale, on Craigslist).

I decided to go with the Innovative system instead for a few reasons. It has the logging built into the controller(separate part was needed on the Zeitronix for this). It has a menu system and a display built into the controller (the Zeitronix required a separate gauge to monitor the A/F ratio in real time). It has RPM logging, great for when you are looking over the logs. It uses the new style Bosch sensor, which are pretty awesome. And the greatest feature of the Innovative controller- ODB II logging and trouble code reading/reset.

Lots of good looking parts there, Cant wait to see some more pictures of the build.
What size are the tires and the widths of the rims? I am thinking about buying new hoops and doing to a 18" rear and I debating between the 2.15x18 and the 2.5x18 rear wheels.

Lots of good looking parts there, Cant wait to see some more pictures of the build.
What size are the tires and the widths of the rims? I am thinking about buying new hoops and doing to a 18" rear and I debating between the 2.15x18 and the 2.5x18 rear wheels.

Man, your avatar pic seems to be familiar to me:laugh:

2.15 front, 2.5 rear. The tires are 110/80 18 front and 130/65 18 rear. I based the rim widths on the recommendations from the tire manufacturer. They aren't as big as they sound either, they have a nice profile. Same tires as seen here-
The-thorn2_zpsynx2tik1.jpg

More parts came in-

Windscreen from Gustafsson.

IMG_20150306_020915534_zpsoowdovyx.jpg

Cone Engineering megaphone. This thing is not going to be quiet :/ If it ends up being too obnoxious, I may reconsider.

IMG_20150306_020539849_zpskaeio44q.jpg

IMG_20150306_020619238_HDR_zps9ketyiit.jpg

Cheapo rear spools. They'll do the job.

IMG_20150306_021022020_zpsryn4lqfk.jpg

All I need now are custom throttle cables, shocks, and a steering dampener. All of which I can't order until I get the bike completely mocked up.

Oh and I need spokes. Kinda putting that one off after looking at Buchanan's price.

Back