My carbon xs400 project

Ablg18

XS400 Member
Reaction score
This is my 82 xs400 cafe project with custom hand made carbon parts all throughout. Hope to have it finished and running soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 458
So I've always wanted to build a project cafe racer motorcycle and recently came across a running 82 xs400 for a good price. Maybe I'm a bit too ambitious, but I decided to go all out making the bike of my dreams. I came up with a concept I wanted to follow and then tore the bike apart. I decided to make all my own carbon fiber bodywork and so far it's coming along nicely. It's still not done, but so far I have stripped and cleaned the frame, cleaned and painted the motor, rebuilt and cleaned the carburetor, fabricated a new exhaust, modified the rear suspension, did a front end swap with an xs1100 for it's better dual brakes, custom tripple trees, painted wheels and new tires, new turn signals and brake light, relocated the battery, made my own gauge bezel, made carbon fiber front and rear fenders, made my own tank also in carbon seat pan.... And so on. Hope to finish soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 473
Made my own pipes and a pair of mufflers from a cb250 with heat shields and thermal wraps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 429
To make my tank I welded the bottom of my original tank with the top of some Suzuki sport bike that I got at a swap meet. When I was happy with the tank I sealed the inside and wrapped the exterior with a layer of carbon fiber and several layers of epoxy resin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 437
Welcome to the forum. Nice work so far:thumbsup: How long are those rear shocks and how are you going to run the chain.

Thanks. Actually the shocks are 17" long and I'm kind of figuring things out as I go. I don't have much experience building motorcycles and came across the problem of the chain hitting the swing arm recently. So I am going to add a chain roller/ guide. I hope that will take care of it once I figure out how to set it up. As I'm trying to rebuild the bike I keep coming across more and more gremlins. Like why is my carburetors leaking gas from the intake side?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 444
17" I think will be too much as the chain will not be in good contact with the sprockets once you add the roller to clear the swing arm.

You might be right. Tho at this point im not sure what else I can do. I already committed to the shocks since I welded up the mounts already... one of the various things that havr me stumped. At the moment.

Welcome! I like the look of that tank a lot.

If your carburetor is leaking gas from the intake side, your float needle assembly is likely to be stuck in place. Open up the carbs and do a proper cleaning. Consider getting a rebuild kit as well, although often it's just gunked up in there.

Welcome. Great looking bike so far.

You may not have much experience with bikes but you've obviously worked with carbon fibre before.

I look forward to how you progress. Love the pipes. Do you have a photo from the muffler side?

Thanks everyone. All the carbon body work is almost finished. Just have everything else to finish up without breaking something else. Good times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 452
Back