My First Bike!

zap

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Just picked up my first bike day before yesterday and my buddy sent me this way. Been wanting to get my bike license and join the ranks for a decade or so and when a 81 xs400 Special came my way for $200, well I guess it’s time haha.

I believe the bike’s been sitting for the last 16 years.

Today I pulled the carbs and took them apart; everything looks great inside except for what I think is a pilot screw on one side; the head is stripped and I couldn’t get it out.

I also pulled the spark plugs and after spraying some penetrating oil confirmed the engine turns over easily with the kick start.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten. Any suggestions or advice is encouraged. I’ll update this thread as I go.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C0713C93-46B1-428C-9D28-B44F3FC08BCD.jpeg
    C0713C93-46B1-428C-9D28-B44F3FC08BCD.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 205

Thanks SoulMan! Bit of an overwhelming list but I’ve been plucking away.

Update:
After cleaning the carbs I connected a battery to see what happens; seemed ok so turned the key and “dash” lit up. So far so good. I next decided to see if sparks were a thing.
Left side sparked but nothing on the right. Out came the multimeter, wiring diagram and the resistance continuity game began. I don’t have much vehicle electrical experience but understand well enough. Thing didn’t add up from the start so I unplugged everything and went about testing all the components I could without it running via the manual. Ie coils, regulator, rectifier etc.
Continued...

Everything I could test seemed well enough within spec.
I decided I needed to simplify things if I was gonna figure all this out so armed with the minimum running schematic from the forum I wired the necessary parts up and once again connected the battery. Sparks on both sides! Added tank, gas and carbs- kicked and it reluctantly sputtered for 20sec before stalling out. Success!! Adjusted the carbs, kicked a bunch and it started up again- only this time for a good minute before I pulled the plug.
She’s not running great and plenty of white smoke out the pipes but she lives.

Can someone please explain how the two relays at the bottom of the bike work.
One is connected to the alternator, ground, Vcc and some dash lights.
Is this connecting the alternator to the dash lights? Or is it connecting the dash lights to Vcc when the alternator is running(bike on)? What connects to the coil and what to the relay switch?

The other is the safety relay connected to clutch switch, neutral switch, starter button (all three pass to ground) and Vcc. Which are connected to coil and which are connected to switch of relay?

I’m pretty sure one or both are dead based on resistance testing but I can’t figure out how a replacement should be connected. Thanks for the info!

Back