My letter to the Better Business Bureau

226dark

78 2E
Reaction score
BBB
To whom it may concern:
I recently had the single most disturbing, unnerving and even frightening experience with a mechanic whom I was referred to and traveled 40 miles to have my motorcycle serviced.
The mechanic is one Chris Lingen of Lingen Service Center located outside of Holland, MN. Lingen Service Center, 1318 161st ST, Holland, MN 56139. Phone: (507) 347-3370
On Wednesday, April 4, 2012, I dropped off my motorcycle to have a short list of things done, as follows:
• New tires and inner tubes, (which I previously purchased and supplied)
• New rim strips (from Chris Lingen)
• Tighten spokes and true the wheels
• Properly break the drive chain to shorten from 100 links to 98 ( specifically asking to keep the removed link)
• Rear brake shoes in (which I also previously purchased and supplied)
• Balance (sync) the carburetors

That was the list, nothing less and nothing more. I have a 1978 Yamaha XS400 2E which is a twin cylinder motor with 2 carbs, spoked wheels and obviously, drum brakes.

On Thursday, April 12, the bike was ready to be picked up and I spoke to him very briefly as he seems to be a man of few words. I learned to my surprise that he had replaced a carburetor float without calling me to ask if I wanted that done. I would soon learn that there were many things he didn’t tell me. As for the brief conversation before leaving I asked if he had the extra chain link to which his response and gesture was an impatient palm up and saying that he didn’t know where it was and that I wouldn’t need it anyway. I then asked if I could have the old carburetor float (the part I did not ask to be replaced). His immediate response to that started the same as the earlier action, then himself realizing it was on his disorganized, cluttered work bench within plain sight, he grabbed it and handed it to me. I paid him $ 221.31 which also included new spark plugs (I might mention the spark plugs I had in were new with about 70 miles on them. They were blackened from a rich fuel mixture and simply required a brushing clean). And at that I departed there with a feeling of unease but not expecting what I would find out subsequently.

The motorcycle did not run as well as before I took it to him; it would misfire when decelerating. The misfiring and popping sound is not a correctly tuned bike and is embarrassing at best. I had decided I would “leave it be” and not return to this mechanic! I will have someone else fix it if I cannot correct the problem myself. I parked the bike at home and it was parked all day Friday, April 13.

On Saturday, April 14, I planned to look it over and take it for a ride. The first thing I realized was the rear tire was completely flat and zero PSI (no air) when checking tire pressure. I then checked the front tire and it seemed maybe 4-5 PSI lower than I would have expected, but I figured it was the amount of air Chris Lingen had put in the tire and so I didn’t yet realize it was leaking. I pumped up both tires knowing the rear tire would go flat. After 2 hours, the rear tire was down 2 PSI. The front seemed deceptively the same as 2 hours earlier.

On that day, I attempted to call Lingen Service Center two times. There was no answer and no voicemail or answering machine. Interestingly, the next day, on Sunday, I attempted to call and leave a message. This time I was calling from a different phone, and the call was answered promptly by Chris Lingen. I told him of the rear tire being flat and rather than ride the bike 40 miles (which didn’t run correctly anyway) I informed him I would just bring only the rear wheel - removed from the bike - the next day (Monday, April 16). He agreed to that.

On Monday, April 16, I planned the trip to Lingen Service Center to have the rear wheel tire and tube fixed. Before leaving I checked the air pressure on the front tire (still on my motorcycle) and since last check on Saturday (2 days earlier), it was now down 2 pounds from 36 to 34 PSI. I used a spray bottle with water and dishwashing soap mix to spray the valve stem and discovered that it was in fact slowly bubbling and that I did in fact have an air leak from the front tire inner tube. Discovering this, I called Lingen Service Center and spoke with Lingen’s other mechanic, who told me Lingen was not in the shop. I informed him I would be removing the front wheel and would bring both wheels in at 2:00. I also asked him if he had worked on my bike and I was informed that Mr. Chris Lingen had done all of the work on my motorcycle.

What unfolded after arriving to Lingen’s on Monday, April 16, 2012, is what compelled me to write this entire letter. I had each motorcycle wheel inside of large trash bags in the trunk to keep any grease from the trunk carpet. On both wheels, I had the brake drums on the wheels and temporarily duct-taped in place around the edge of the hub to prevent dust from attaching to the wheel bearings and axle area. Arriving there, I backed up the car to the entrance door, opened the trunk and brought the wheels into Lingen’s Service Center. I greeted him, but after a short greeting he saw the brake drums taped into place and to demonstrate how glad he was to see me , quickly and scoldingly blurted, “We don’t need these on here”, referring to the brake drums. He then ragingly, even violently, started tearing the duct tape off and carelessly removing the drums handing the first one to me. I set it down and he urgently picked it up handing it to me again and ordered me to “put it in your car!” Having both brake drums removed, he hastily poured water on the tube stem of the front wheel and insisted that “it will leak air if you keep checking it like that” to which I calmly explained that it was checked after sitting 2 days (from Saturday to Monday).

By this time, I was already stunned in silence and had gone half into shock. He said something about “those Big Bike tubes are no good” and that they are cheap, made-in-china junk. I was puzzled at his “Big Bike” description. I asked what that meant; he was referring to the brand of tubes - which were BikeMaster. I purchased the inner tubes from Sioux Falls dealer MidAmerica Motoplex, a Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda dealer. He told me as if it was stupid of me not to use the brand of tubes he uses and that I should have expected that (both tubes leaking air). The motorcycle dealer itself seems to disagree, having installed them without the problems which I was starting to REALLY experience at this point.

Chris Lingen’s next short blurting outrage was simply “What do you want me to do?” He then repeated this because I took a moment to think about what I was really dealing with here. Cheap, made-in-china inner tubes? No, not that! Also, I was partly in a state of speechless shock and getting scared of this guy.

I nervously and calmly asked “what can you do?” He told me he would put HIS brand of inner tubes in and fix what he was insinuating to have been all of MY mistake. He then told me the cost of the front and rear tube and total cost which I didn’t even make mental note of (my guess is around $40 or $50), because I was still stunned and shaken from his violent display and abrupt, spiteful, hateful method of interaction. Was this normal, mutual, remedial action and interaction? I think not! So I cautiously, carefully and simultaneously went to pick the wheels up while saying “It seems like you’re very busy.”

His mechanic was overhearing this spectacle and as I slowly and numbingly made my way out in awe of it all, he turned to the employee yelling, spewing and venting vulgarity and slander. I then, in a stupor, solemnly placed the wheels in the trunk of the car, but there was more! The shop door opened up, Lingen had bunched up the garbage bags I earlier kept the wheels in, threw them into the furthest corner of the car trunk and despicably: “Here’s your garage bags”.

I felt a sinking-sick and disturbed feeling all afternoon / evening from this experience to the point of not sleeping. And the same continued feeling from his disturbing tantrum and tirade to this moment still.

Do I attempt to call yet again to resolve this matter? Seems less than plausible and I would only be satisfied with a refund for cost of new tubes and installation, or even a full refund. My guess is that he was as impatient and careless with servicing the motorcycle as he was in his impatient, confrontational manner with me. Also, I live 40 miles away after all; who would think that I would go to the trouble of taking the wheels off and traveling back up there? If not for the rear tire going completely flat I might not have noticed for a full week that the front was also slightly punctured. I’m partly convinced of the possibility that the tubes got around the protective rim strip and rubbed against the spokes in his likely maddened and hasty work.

It seems that it was a huge insult and a huge waste of his time for me not to be purchasing tires, inner tubes and brake shoes from him. I only expected a job done right and was willing to go out of my way for that.

I am curious, and it’s a dreadful thought, as to how low the back tire was when making my way home on April 12. I assumed too much with his work and had heard good things. A very experienced mechanic installing brand new parts; then not just one tire, but both tires leaking. Was the mishap work partly intentional? It was the furthest from my mind until witnessing the seething act of venting from this man of few words. Now I know better.

(continued on next post)

As an aside, I should note that I actually have been to his shop when I first began to restore my motorcycle. The receipt is from December 7, 2010. I had a small welding job done in the crankcase and a new valve guide installed. The valve guide I had purchased myself from a Yamaha dealer. In the middle of winter he likely was not very busy and the work was excellent. I was happy and assumed that the guy just does not talk much at all. In hindsight now it is more like he resented that I brought a Yamaha part for my Yamaha motorcycle. I guess I offended him.

Sincerely,

April 18, 2012

I feel as if I have made more than sufficient effort on my part for resolve on the matter, but wanting to give this person one last chance to prove to me he wasn’t just having a bad day, I called him last evening, 4/17/12 at 9:14 p.m. The conversation started and seemed to remain amicable, although, as expected from him, with the shortest possible answers given such as “yep” and “whatever”. I could, but would rather not, transcribe 6 minutes and 20 seconds of the phone call which consisted of “umm, yea . . . whatever” and “umm . . (sigh). . yea I gue . . . (sigh), you know. Like I said . . ah . . but ah . . . you know . . . what you need done I guess to resolve it I guess, ah . . you know.”

What I need done to resolve it, what I WANT done to resolve it, and what he offered to resolve it are all different things since what I want is a full refund; what I considered reasonable was compensation for what I was quoted to have the inner tubes replaced and the job done correctly ($95). In his words “what you need done to resolve it” is the same as what was mentioned earlier – to pay for HIS supposedly better quality tubes and then labor (again!).

The phone call ended with his words “no, I’m not gonna do that either, so, I guess whatever” and then he hung up on me. Not a surprise, but I will repeat that – yes, he simply hung up the phone on me. No further attempt or discussion of resolving. I will admit it was a surprisingly cool-mannered “no” and then simply ending the phone call.

April 18, 2012

As of today 4/18/12 I have the confirmation and evidence of what I suspected to be his reckless, or just hurried and careless work. The aforementioned Sioux Falls motorcycle dealer returned the new but damaged inner tubes to me and they are both leaking from the inside part of the tubes as if they had accidentally rubbed against one of the spokes during installation. I can supply pictures if required. This officially confirms to me that I did not run over any road debris causing the leaks.

Also last evening’s phone call to Lingen officially confirms to me he is not willing to resolve the matter. The cost of replacing the tubes with labor amounted to $95.38. The cost of having him attempt to “resolve” would ultimately amount to more, considering I would be paying for the same work TWICE! Plus I don’t trust him and am afraid of him. Also, I personally feel he doesn’t deserve any additional business.

Man that really sucks to hear. Reminds me of kitchen nightmares when the owners have their heads stuck solo far up their ass

Please tell me you didn't send this short story to BBB though. It's far too long and emotional for them to take serious. Don't get me wrong, cool story bro. But i would shorten it and keep my feelings out of it unless i felt personally threatened. Think about all the cases the BBB has to read through everyday. You need to be concise and to the point

Please tell me you didn't send this short story to BBB though. It's far too long and emotional for them to take serious. Don't get me wrong, cool story bro. But i would shorten it and keep my feelings out of it unless i felt personally threatened. Think about all the cases the BBB has to read through everyday. You need to be concise and to the point
You actually read that whole thing? haha. You're opinion is valued and it was considered like you said. Yes I felt threatened, both by him and the work, riding home on a deflating tire. Personally I won't go so far as to think that the bike was sabotaged, but a hapless job.
The BBB has six steps to file the complaint.
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/nature-of-complaint/
Step 4 requires a summary of the complaint allowing 2000 (and some) characters. I used every single char. as you'll see below. The step 5 is for the Word document attachment, which you actually read? Step 4 summary is what the public would possibly see and BBB asks for the "crux" of the problem. It is much the same as the attached letter. That letter you read is what this fearfully temporamental man will receive.
The "crux":
This man has serious anger management issues. Resolve??? I was scared for my safety! I dropped off my motorcycle 4/4/12. Needed a short list of things done. New tires & tubes on, rear brake shoes in (all which I previously purchased), tighten spokes, shorten the chain 2 links with chain break (stating I wanted to keep the removed link) and balance the carburetors.
On Thurs 4/12/12 I picked it up speaking to him briefly - this man of few words - as it would turn out a man of severe temper and pent-up, barely contained hateful resentment which I would, the following Monday, see him violently vent.
To begin with, the carbs were not properly adjusted and tuned; the right cylinder misfired, missing occasionally at idle and very badly on deceleration. That was the least of my problems since after traveling 40 miles to return home I discovered that both tires had an air leak. The front only noticeable after sitting a day or more. The rear losing over 1 lb (PSI) per hour. I was glad to have made it home. On Mon 4/16/12 I returned with both wheels. Arriving there and after a short greeting he immediately saw that I had the brake drums taped in place to the hub and with enraged impatience he tore at the tape and carelessly yanked the brake drums off handing them to me. When I set the first one down he impatiently picked it up, handed it to me and ordered me to "put it in your car!" He took the front wheel, poured water on the valve stem scolding me "it's going to leak air if you keep checking it!" It was leaking and he barked at me "what do you want me to do?" Also: "those big bike tubes are cheap made-in-China junk"(actually BikeMaster brand).The only resolve option was for me to pay for new tubes from him and labor - again! I slowly picked up the wheels saying "It seems like you're very busy" to which he turned to his employee (who had been watching this spectacle) venting and spewing slander and vulgarities. I was stunned in silent shock as I made my way out unable to comprehend what had just occurred.

People like that are their own worst enemy.I don't know how or why they stay in business,unless they are in a large city and there are enough people to support a one time only customer base.My business [contractor]was in a small and limited market on an island with only 5,000 people,most of which didn't live there full time.If I had been like that guy,I'd have been in business about 6 months,if someone didn't shoot me first[Texas]. I was in business for 15years because I always pleased the clients while making a good living. If there is such a thing as karma,this guy won't be around for long. lha

What does alcohol have to do with anything? lha

The 3 a.m alternative to filing a complaint, I assume.

Nice job on your business success! Good input from all and, yes, I suppose it was a bit wordy but was doing my own venting :laugh:

Replaced the old removed OEM carb float which I was fortunate to have gotten back. The problem was simple: little tab that keeps float from lowering too far was allowing float to go to far then attempting to float up against the float valve needle it would catch and then uncatch when jarred or when it wanted to (causing occasional flood problem when left on 'prime'). His float - i will post pics when i have a chance - were plastic ones which is fine except height for both sides of the plastic float were much different and off. I wrote down the micrometer heights and will find what i noted when i post the pics.

What did I do with my XS today: rode 110 blissful miles on new tires that held air and everything, ha :)

Yeah,those carb problems can be frustrating at times.I went through them with my dirt bike,got it running well,but left a trail of gas from the carb leaking out the overflow tubes. I cleaned and adjusted everything so many times that I finally gave up for a while. After a day or two to forget why I was so P.O.ed[it doesn't take a long time when you're a"seasoned citizen"],I ordered a float valve set and when installed,I had a non-leaker. lha

Carbs and then points! A pain but learning to deal with it, ha

BBB Processing

04/18/2012 web BBB Complaint Received by BBB
04/19/2012 AL BBB Complaint Reviewed by BBB staff
04/19/2012 Otto EMAIL Send acknowledgement to Consumer
04/19/2012 Otto MAIL Inform Business of the Complaint

@ Iha(& 226dark): Sorry bad joke. Meant in regards to the mechanic.
The man has issues,belligerence being one of them.
How he treats his paying customers and employees are some others.
There must be some explanation for his actions.

At some point I promised pictures. I put the original carb float back in on 4/19. Some pictures of the plastic floats the mechanic put in. At the pointed top (bottom) of each float one measured 24.8 mm the other 28.1 mm height. If one was at 24.8 that would have been good enough to fix the flooding problem. It is understood that you cannot balance the carbs with gravity fed gasoline and a carb flooding over. A phone call still would have been nice and the luck of getting the old one back was coincidence since it was sitting on the workbench where we were standing and the chance that I might have seen it sitting right there.

Both floats were out, I put the unremoved one in the opposite carb. The last picture shows the tab which was allowing the float to lower too much, which then caused the needle tab to push against the float needle more than straight upward and it would catch and push against before starting upward movement.

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

I fixed the flood issue, the carbs are at 26 mm. Wasn't planning to spend the time doing that but the facts are the facts and it had to be done. I will give the guy that, and the benefit of the doubt. Besides me supplying all of my own parts, then THIS problem which would have made him all the more impatient. Emphasis of the hapless work was on puncturing the inside of the inner tubes which I then had the "option" of putting new ones in from him at the regular charge.
Also maybe a sign of how careless, could-give-a-damn, if i had noticed immediately that 2 different valve stem caps on each of the brand new stems. I have seen bikes with the more functional air-valve remover cap on one tire and normal rounded cap on the other, so I will again give him the benefit of the doubt. I can only suspect that he just grabbed the first one he saw, or wanted to keep one, or plain lost the thing.
Sometimes small details will point to worse, unseen problems. Not to mention upon arriving he opened the large door immediately (before I had even paid him) as if he couldn't get my bike out of there soon enough. It was lightly raining outside, starting to clear up, maybe that was all the more amusing, and maybe in hopes I wouldn't look the bike over too closely.
Anyway, I will give the guy some credit since the work done in December 2010 was excellent and if not for that I wouldn't be able to start the bike, and I would only have 3 valves opening.
Evidence of my nubystupidity ! (How I am perceived by the guy and quite obnoxiously, ha).

dec2010.jpg

dec20103.jpg

dec20101.jpg

05/01/2012 Second Notice to Business
05/01/2012 No response to first notice to business
05/01/2012 No response from business
04/20/2012 Inform Business of the Complaint
04/19/2012 Send acknowledgement to Consumer
04/19/2012 Complaint Reviewed by BBB staff
04/18/2012 Complaint Received by BBB

This jerk of a mechanic of "Lingen Service Ctr" knew the rear was leaking (and probably both). That explains why I had to call him wondering when it would finally be ready; so that he would know when I was arriving. He did the work on Monday of that week. I called Thursday to learn he just got done with it - "yep, just got it done". In his response he didn't even get the day that I picked it up correct. . and what day is Wensday anyway??
Is it possible he didn't call me because he planned to fix his mistakes when he felt like it? I think that would be giving him way too much credit. At least he was nice enough to make sure the tire was inflated so I wouldn't wreck! Yep, it's done asshole.
Maybe that's why he couldn't get me out of there fast enough? Makes sense now.
"Big Bike tubes" and "cheap made-in-China junk". Actually Bikemaster tubes and he had to look at the box to have his shit talk ready. Yes I am pissed.
The picture is of the rear tube. Front tube I had to submerge in the bathtub and wait to find it. Same damn thing, on the inside, but farther from the valve stem.

Last edited:
04/18/2012 web BBB Complaint Received by BBB
04/19/2012 AL BBB Complaint Reviewed by BBB staff
04/19/2012 Otto EMAIL Send acknowledgement to Consumer
04/19/2012 Otto MAIL Inform Business of the Complaint
05/01/2012 OttO BBB No response from business
05/01/2012 AL BBB No response to first notice to business
05/01/2012 Otto MAIL Second Notice to Business
05/06/2012 WEB BBB RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : Hi this costumer droped off his motorcycle for tire change and tune up. I changed tires and tuned it up on monday and he picked it up wensday and everything was fine. then he calls me sunday afternoon and said the tire is flat.I dont know if he ran something over on the way home or what happened.I have been in the motorcyle industry for 26 years and owned this buiness for 19 years and have changed thousands of tires with no complaints.
05/07/2012 AL EMAIL Forward Business response to Consumer
05/07/2012 WEB BBB RECEIVED CONSUMER RESPONSE : (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)

05/08/2012 AL MAIL Forward Consumer Response to Business

Back