my new 81 special 2

Jasonsblue81

colorado Kid
Reaction score
Hey guys, just found a garage find 5000 miles. . amazing shape. original owner and tires. no leaks . no tears in seat.Only thing missing is start button. No rust, started on first kick twice. Need to get brake light going and i ordered intake boots. it wont idle..Not sure about bars. swept back really far back..do you think i could put a pipe bender on them and straighten them a little?? Also. was gonna shoot the turn signal switch with WD 40. its pretty stiff.. Is there a better lube?? I had a 1978 for ten years. basically wore it out. thought i would never find another. one. Miracle bike. good to be on here again..

WD40 is not a lubricant.

For a switch you want dielectric grease. But you want to clean out the gunk first.

Thanks, got the bike titled, and plated today. I used a plate off a TLR200 i had. But i think I might go back friday and get historical plates
Wont have to mess with it for 5 years. See if they let me upgrade. otherwise have to wait a year, no big deal. Drove the bike today. think it really leaking around the intake boots. so. got new ones coming..The handle bars may have to go. I am not sure get used to them. If i could scoot farther back on seat. wouldnt be so bad, but even at 5 foot 8 it kind of crunches me in a weird position. send pics soon.It is blue.Got a wix filter yesterday.
hope to do oil change this weekend.

Drove the bike today. think it really leaking around the intake boots. so. got new ones coming..
Did you get the gaskets? There is a gasket between carb holder and engine.

The handle bars may have to go. I am not sure get used to them.

Mine had literally a piece of pipe for the bars. I got a dirtbike handlebar for like $20. Works good.

Keep in mind that if you get a painted bar you need to either scrape paint under switches or do a little wiring. They normally ground through the bar and if you don't have contact you lose the starter switch.

If i could scoot farther back on seat. wouldnt be so bad, but even at 5 foot 8 it kind of crunches me in a weird position.

Yeah, the stepped 80-something seats aren't great for that. Kinda miss my old 78 bench seat...

Got a wix filter yesterday.
hope to do oil change this weekend.

About a 20 minute proposition.

Make sure you use a six-pointed socket to undo the filter bolt. Stripping it isn't the end of the world, replacements are available, but will be annoying to fix.

Also. Manual specs 20W-50 JASO-MA oil. Most diesel oils are JASO-MA certified. Look for the certification on the label. I use Shell Rotella in all my Yamahas. It's way cheaper than oil branded specifically for motorcycles.

Walmart has 20w-50 valvoline wet clutch bike oil for around $4 a quart. I have both of the stock bars used one these bikes and prefer the 80-82 pull back ones. If you have them set to the correct angle you can ride at a nice upright position. My arthritic back likes it too.

thanks guys. yea looks like gaskets are in the kits. Got brake light going today.on the back brake, front brake isnt activating light yet. Might get used to bars, we will see. not a major issue. original tires however are a issue . My old 78 had kind of enduro tires. good on dirt roads too. Shell rotella is a interesting option..

IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3116.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG

The only bonearama is the exhaust pipe. see the patch?? they tore it or cracked it right at the crossover section.

do you guys think i could bend the bars out without heat? keep them on the bike?/ or is that just a pipe dream.. i have seen pipe benders for condiut before. not sure that would work...those swept back bars are a real pain to be honest. not sure what they were thinking

See that patch on the pipe, its coming apart on me. rivets and tin patch. do you guys know any inexpensive slip on mufflers. or know any body who has some megaphones they want to part with, would rather not put straight pipes on it.

Back