1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

my new project/ first bike/81 xs400h

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ahale2772, Mar 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Requiem

Requiem XS400 Addict

holy sh#t! first thing that crossed my mind as well :D

2. dO-bOy

dO-bOy Woohooo!

i was close, i thought more johnny 5

[​IMG]

3. Ace4569

Ace4569 Original XS400 Chick

Heh I was thnking wall-e too lol. This bike looks awesome. Nice job. Besides the seat are you going to do anything else. I'm sad to see this build coming to the end -_-;

4. HoughMade

HoughMade XS400 Guru Top Contributor

This certainly is an ambitious build. I like the design. Good work!

5. frwinks

frwinks XS400 Addict

funny how with everything on the bike, the massive swing arm gets lost back there.. Turned out KILLER bud, That thing is going to play tricks on a lot of eyes:laugh:

6. ahale2772

ahale2772 XS400 Addict

thanks guys :), first ride today!!!!

got my sprocket in the other day and got back from florida late last night.

sprocket fit great, threw it on but i still need to heat treat it, ill do that next.

chain fits great, had to clearance some more in the cover to get it to work allthe way, also the clutch mechanism was nowhere neer fitting, I had to mount it on the outside of the cover, no biggie, made a new pushrod and reversed the whole mechanism, pull might be a tad bit harder but not too bad.

developed a huge oil leak outof the side cover, I think I just played with the gasket too much, ill order a kit tomorro

also, jets are a bit off still I think ill step up to a 147.5 on the main, ill order those with the gasket kit.

bike felt great on the road, cant wait to spank it on some twisties :)

gona rain here all week so ill finish some wiring and stuff and get her riding!!!

thanks for all he help guys!

the clutch...
    [​IMG]

the sprocket... (a work of art, I highlty reccomend gary poh...)
    [​IMG]

chain, good amount of slack with no rub, also the chain dosnt tighten much when the suspentin is loaded.

[​IMG]

7. Ace4569

That's awesome work. I think what I like most about your back wheel is the reflective qualities of the red ring

8. dO-bOy

dO-bOy Woohooo!

iwana see a pik of you on the bike riding position

9. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

10. Ace4569

Indeed sounds good to me. On this bike it really in insane how that swing arm looks so small now

11. drewpy

no rear engine mount bolt?:eek:

12. volcomskater77

volcomskater77 XS400 Chopophile Top Contributor

damn dude. you pulled this thing together. and FAST. lol that clutch is beautiful. i love it.

13. ahale2772

ahale2772 XS400 Addict

thanks folks,

yeah drewps, there was never a rear engine mount on my bike, im guessing the previous guys cut it off?? i dont even know what it would look like...

yeah, ill probably go hydrolic sooner than later, once the mechanical syslem starts effing up, which im sure it will

do-boy, ill get one soon, once she is back together, got the side cover apart now, ordering gaskets tonight.

ace, yeah im gona redo the reflecor thingies, once I paint the rims, I like them too:bike:

14. Shawngilr1

Shawngilr1 XS400 Member

Wow..This is an awesome build!! You have put a lot of work in to this!! Great design and well put together!!

15. ahale2772

ahale2772 XS400 Addict

I need a gasket kit!!!....but i cant find one.... ive tried bike bandit, parts and more...

anyone have a kit that they havnt used all of...? all i need is the left hand side cover (alternator cover) gasket

16. tonupNW

tonupNW xs newbie

With the rim reflectors its gonna look like TRON! SO if Wallie and Tron had a baby, this is what it would look like. lol

17. drewpy

make one, get some gasket material!

18. ahale2772

ahale2772 XS400 Addict

yeah I ended up snagging one off of FleeBay, 24bucks looks like a OEM kit.

that side cover spews oil when thew bike is running, right out of the bottom of the case/cover, I think I just took it off too many times when trying to make the charging system work.

I cant wait to do some riding!!!, supposibly another 10days of rain around these parts :(

19. ahale2772

ahale2772 XS400 Addict

blahhh!!

so I went and replaced the gaskets on the alternator side cover and I still had a bad leak, now the leak is coming from the clutch pushrod seal

looks like my setup was putting some side load force on the clutch pushrod, witch inturn snapped and ruined the seal....ughhh

so i've got a seal and pushrod on order ebay/bikebandit,

is it hard to replace that seal? I seem to remeber hearing it was hard to replce with the engine together...? .... or am i thinking about a different seal?

20. drewpy

yamaha and haynes say to split the case, yea right, just drift it in with a suitable sized socket and lube!