1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

My new XS400 special II

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Macabry, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Macabry

Macabry XS400 Enthusiast

Howdy all, and a happy Easter to everyone !

Went to an autojumble just down the road today (1/2 mile away !!!), and picked up a few nice bits for the bike ... got an Haynes manual and some 8" ape bars for 12 bucks ... I fitted the bars straight away and I have to say they are much more comfortable on the bike. I'm 5'8" and average build but I found the buckhorns made my wrists ache as they forced me angle my hands. I'm also not used used to having my grips so low. This means that I felt myself feeling pushed off the bike at high speed. The apes have fixed that completely, they look great, they suit the bike and because they're slightly wider and higher I feel way more control above 60mph ... really really recommend them

2. Macabry

Macabry XS400 Enthusiast

Another great ride out today ...

I've adjusted the chain and tightened it to spec (It was a bit too loose). The bike is an utter joy to ride now, I'm absolutely loving it now that the bars are comfortable for me ... I can ride comfortably for easily over an hour within any hint of wrist pain and I find her so much more rideable. I have never had such a responsive free revving 400, she really just begs to be let loose.

Here's pics of her with the new bars:
    20220422_143025.jpg 20220422_143039.jpg

3. Beautiful bike!
    Well done on sorting out your issues.